advertisement

Ryanair question.

RoyleBlue

pfm Member
Sorry if it’s a silly question, but we are off for a few days away tomorrow and only taking 10kg correct sized carry on cases with us and have checked-in online - at the airport do we just go through to security or do we have to go to the check in desk? Always had cases that went into the hold !

Long time since I went with RyanAIr but the last time I printed a boarding pass at home and went straight to the security (at Stansted). As you get on the flight they sometimes check your bag for size (and charge if it's over-sized obviously).

Print your boarding pass or have it in your phone wallet (assuming you have a smart phone). That boarding pass gets you into security, with your cabin bags.

Going from Stansted? Early Monday morning is one of the busiest times.

Print your boarding pass or have it in your phone wallet (assuming you have a smart phone). That boarding pass gets you into security, with your cabin bags.

Going from Stansted? Early Monday morning is one of the busiest times.

Agreed, picking up grandkids tomorrow but luckily at 6-00pm.

Many thanks everyone. Passes in phone wallet and printed, flight is @ 0800 but getting there @ 0500 - SWMBO wants to do the duty-free malarkey and chill before flight!

Straight to departures by scanning your boarding pass. At Stansted they only look at your passport at the departure gate. Expect the unpleasantness upon arrival if leaving the UK.

As above.

Are they still asking people to take their shoes off in Standstead? Haven't flown from there in years, Luton and Heathrow thankfully have stopped that nonsense. Going through security is more or less normal now.

As above.

Are they still asking people to take their shoes off in Standstead? Haven't flown from there in years, Luton and Heathrow thankfully have stopped that nonsense. Going through security is more or less normal now.
They’re all subject to the same CAA rules. No autonomy for local decision making.

Having said that , Stansted now have some lanes with the latest screening equipment, allowing a relaxation of some rules . Depends which lane you get in as to what you may be asked to remove and what may be hand searched . But of course you’re volunteering to be searched when you go through …

Reactions: gez
They’re all subject to the same CAA rules. No autonomy for local decision making.

Having said that , Stansted now have some lanes with the latest screening equipment, allowing a relaxation of some rules . Depends which lane you get in as to what you may be asked to remove and what may be hand searched . But of course you’re volunteering to be searched when you go through …
There was seemingly always some level of interpretation going on though. I definitely remember Heathrow just asking everyone to take off their shoes no matter what type of shoe it was (at least for a time), whereas other UK airports would decide based on what you were actually wearing (i.e. did it have any kind of heel).

Many thanks everyone. Passes in phone wallet and printed, flight is @ 0800 but getting there @ 0500 - SWMBO wants to do the duty-free malarkey and chill before flight!

Be careful in duty free, they make a fortune, often selling at higher prices than supermarkets. Offers can be very good though, i bought 60 bottles of gin once pre Brexit.

Be careful in duty free, they make a fortune, often selling at higher prices than supermarkets. Offers can be very good though, i bought 60 bottles of gin once pre Brexit.
It's been years since I've bothered buying anything in duty free for the reason of trying to get a bargain. As you say, just because they're not charging VAT doesn't automatically make their prices better (or even competitive) with the kinds of prices supermarkets now charge. Very often duty free is more expensive.

The only thing I ever buy in duty free is alcohol, and that's only because I very rarely have space/weight allowance left in my main luggage to have been able to pack heavy bottles, and due to not being able to bring bottles through security the only place left is duty free.

There are exceptions of course: I was once told by the salespeople in Tiffany's at Heathrow that some of their customers had bought a flight solely to be able to purchase from the Heathrow shop as the saving they made on the VAT was greater than the price of the return flight. I'm not how much I actually believe that story, but I can certainly believe it given that practically nothing in the shop had a price on it.

I was beginning to wonder if it's still made, all 37.5% a couple of weeks ago. Pity as the 47.5% tastes finer.
dont know if it is still available in airports - but certainly booze shops in Barcelona, and Porto still sell it. We are on our last bottle.,........

Sorry if it’s a silly question, but we are off for a few days away tomorrow and only taking 10kg correct sized carry on cases with us and have checked-in online - at the airport do we just go through to security or do we have to go to the check in desk? Always had cases that went into the hold !

I flew with them in december. Checked in online, so didn’t have to go to their desk. Straight to security where yes, I had to take my shoes off. And my belt.
there are two options re cabin bag. Small, which are supposed to put under your seat. This is free.
slightly bigger bag, which you pay for. This enables you to put in overhead bins. You pay for this.

I can’t remember the two bag max sizes, but for certain there were people at the flight check in point who were trying to get on with bags which were too big for the freebie option. they were pulled to the side and being charged extra.
Some we’re arguing, but still paid!!!

I think web site said must print off a boarding pass, which I did. But in the end, the version on my phone was all they were interested in.

cheap, but not a great experience.

I flew with them in december. Checked in online, so didn’t have to go to their desk. Straight to security where yes, I had to take my shoes off. And my belt.
there are two options re cabin bag. Small, which are supposed to put under your seat. This is free.
slightly bigger bag, which you pay for. This enables you to put in overhead bins. You pay for this.

I can’t remember the two bag max sizes, but for certain there were people at the flight check in point who were trying to get on with bags which were too big for the freebie option. they were pulled to the side and being charged extra.
Some we’re arguing, but still paid!!!

I think web site said must print off a boarding pass, which I did. But in the end, the version on my phone was all they were interested in.

cheap, but not a great experience.

Amazingly cheap, my daughter's doing a couple of return flights from Marseille this half term.

I can't see how the flight prices tie in with what is supposed to be a significantly polluting level of fuel use.

advertisement

Back