advertisement

Ry Cooder's New Album The Prodigal Son

jackbarron

Chelsea, London
Been listening to Ry Cooder's excellent new album The Prodigal Son. His first for six years, it journeys into his musical roots in a very moving way.

Richard Williams has done a great critique and calls it Ry's gospel album: https://thebluemoment.com/2018/05/13/ry-cooders-the-prodigal-son/

Ry talks about getting the songs together with his son Joachim and making the album with the band. It is cool to hear how he adapts and expands on the material he covers by old time songwriters:

I've been listening to it for most of the weekend.
In my humble opinion, Ry Cooder is a bloody genius. The list of great albums he's been responsible for is astonishing
Purple Valley, Boomer's Story, Chicken Skin Music, Jazz, Bop 'til You Drop, The Slide Area, Get Rhythm..the list goes on.

If you are not familiar with his stuff, I am jealous. You are in for a true treat.

Chris

I agree, Ry is a genius. Into the Purple Valley is probably my favourite. Bop Till You Drop was one of the first, if not the first, rock albums to be recorded digitally. I bought it when it was released, I’ve never checked if it’s a first pressing.

I agree, Ry is a genius. Into the Purple Valley is probably my favourite. Bop Till You Drop was one of the first, if not the first, rock albums to be recorded digitally. I bought it when it was released, I’ve never checked if it’s a first pressing.
I find it hard to listen to, harsh sound. But not as bad as Neil Young's "Landing on Water".

I've been listening to it for most of the weekend.
In my humble opinion, Ry Cooder is a bloody genius. The list of great albums he's been responsible for is astonishing
Purple Valley, Boomer's Story, Chicken Skin Music, Jazz, Bop 'til You Drop, The Slide Area, Get Rhythm..the list goes on.

If you are not familiar with his stuff, I am jealous. You are in for a true treat.

Chris
Live on Air is really good if you have all of these already. As I do. Also some of the live stuff with David Lindley & Joachim Cooder can be great - different, but great too.

Saw Ry Cooder a lot in the '70s and early '80s, with various line-ups, and have never been disappointed. Got a fair amount of his records and wasn't necessarily expecting too much from The Prodigal Son, but it's great.

Ry is the originator of some of my favourite guitar phrases. He features on The Stones' Sister Morphine, Jagger's Memo From Turner in Performance and Lowell George's original Willin'. Then there is Paris Texas, Beefheart's Safe As Milk and ...

Cooder comes across as a very gifted, yet modest, enthusiast in interviews, which kind of says it all really.

Jack

Saw Ry Cooder a lot in the '70s and early '80s, with various line-ups, and have never been disappointed. Got a fair amount of his records and wasn't necessarily expecting too much from The Prodigal Son, but it's great.

Ry is the originator of some of my favourite guitar phrases. He features on The Stones' Sister Morphine, Jagger's Memo From Turner in Performance and Lowell George's original Willin'. Then there is Paris Texas, Beefheart's Safe As Milk and ...

Cooder comes across as a very gifted, yet modest, enthusiast in interviews, which kind of says it all really.

Jack
It was his stuff on Safe As Milk which first turned me on to him in 1967. You might also want to check out the Rising Sons album. The Rising Sons also featured Taj Mahal, and, as far as I am aware, was his first recorded work.

Chris

advertisement

Back