advertisement

Ruark Equinox, active crossovers and tweeter attenuation

This is theory not real speakers and on this type of simulation (ie just passive inductors, caps and resistors etc) the computer simulator is always spot on.

What I'm saying, to be clear, is that the inductor can serve two purposes and can simultaneously provide the large bass boost and treble cut required for the "baffle step correction" AND be half of the 2nd order crossover in conjunction with the capacitor. I'm not discussing acoustic response or any thing like that, just the response which the crossover is responsible for.

It's a passive crossover and can't boost anything.

It's a passive crossover and can't boost anything.

Obviously it can'y ACTUALLY boost anything! It does it by cutting everything above the bass so the bass is boosted in comparison to the rest! This is why small speakers with any pretence at bass are really inefficient.

In an active version you can boost the bass.

Obviously it can'y ACTUALLY boost anything! It does it by cutting everything above the bass so the bass is boosted in comparison to the rest! This is why small speakers with any pretence at bass are really inefficient.

In an active version you can boost the bass.

I know you knew. I was just winding you up :)

The whole point of my first post was just to stop the op from getting confused, because a lot of people don't know the difference between electrical and acoustic order, and in real world it's only the acoustic order (the measured response) that matters.

The resistor network mentioned up front is just an L-pad attenuator, which all speakers have unless the tweeter is custom built to match the woofer sensitivity.

The attenuation provided can be simply replicated by adjusting the HF gain in the active XO.

My memory of the published frequency response for the Equinox is that there is in fact minimal, or no baffle step correction applied to the Vifa M18, as evidenced by the rising response through the midrange.

In which case, converting them to active operation may be reasonably painless.

advertisement

Back