advertisement

RSD 2024

Well I agree it's expensive but the second disc contains only one song which has been released before - on a Little Feat 4 cd set - and the versions shed much more light on how Lowell was working than some other out take albums plus new unheard cover versions of Doctor My Eyes and Brickyard Blues. The packaging includes sleeve notes from Lowell's family and the re-release producer - so there's cost in pulling all that together.

I suppose if the album had sold more back in the day there might have been a cd release - but I'm happy with what I bought.

Glad you liked it. I suppose the moral of the story is 'if you love a band you'll go the extra mile for new/special material'. And that's cool, I've certainly done that with ridiculously priced box sets in the past and I'll admit there were a couple of things on the list I looked at and thought "hmmm, that's quite nice', but the price gouging on many of the things on the list just really pissed/pisses me off. When RSD started it seems like a good idea: create a bunch of special, indie only limited editions that would make people visit their bricks and mortar store and for a few years that seemed to work - I remember queuing for things at a variety of record shops and being excited to get my hands on records I wanted, but over time it has, in my opinion (and this is only my grumpy old git opinion) been corrupted by greed (record companies).

This post on Facebook this week by the owner of a shop called Reverberations Vinyl in Bloomington, Illinois sums it all up very well I think. (Sorry for the length, but it is interesting)

Why RSD Is Bad For Records & Record Stores by John Anderson

The "Record Store", as positioned in our culture in 2024, is (or was) a reflection of the mythical independents of the '90s & '00s, places that thrived outside both the interest in, or support from, the record industry. Truly independent stores that were usually small, primarily used, at times meeting places for music people, social hubs for weirdos, discovery zones & more. The reality was far more nuaced, but growing up in the record stores of my youth, I eventually sorted out the differences between chain stores, used shops, big label music, used selling/buying, etc, and the sense of REAL that permeated the independent shops of the world. The person/people behind these places were often big, weird personalities, but they were also the driving force behind what lay on the shelves. New horror soundtrack imports from Italy? Brand new garage rock from PNW hotspots? Skranky dub compilations for under ten bucks? Bootlegs? YES. All things that were specific to the shops, sometimes exclusive, but always reflective of what & who the place WAS. Recreating that to the best of my honest ability has always been my goal here. If its a new record in the racks or on the wall, its likely here because a) I love it, b) I own one too, and c) I'd like to share it with you. Short version: this store is a deeply personal statement. That has always been my focus and always shall be. In the words of the great Andrew Weatherall, "Music's not for everyone".

That's the mystical/romantic part. I have practical reasons as well!

1) As stated above, record stores (vinyl) thrived & grew to what we know now with ZERO interest from the record industry, when it was at its absolute $height$. As "record store culture" became more popular & increasingly commodified, the industry used rsd as a trojan horse to seize the means & the narrative back from the very people who kept it going while they - the industry - were gouging people on CDs & fumbling a cogent approach to digital music.

2) rsd stock is expensive, for us & you. Usually 25% more than your standard releases. Why? Good question.

3) rsd stock is unreturnable for shops. As a store, what you order, you're stuck with. Huge stores don't seem to mind, as you'll see bin after bin of rsd leftovers going back 5+ years, more in some cases.

4) The Disappointment Factor. When "one band fans" & newer collectors have been conditioned to seek out "the one thing", there's inevitable disappointment when smaller stores get tiny allocations of records people seem willing to fight over. That disappointment usually ends up directed at the people/place, meaning yours truly, something I want no part of.

5) Manufactured Scarcity. Undershooting demand by a few thousand units as a marketing strategy sounds fun to someone... not sure who though. Driving a rabid wave of buyers (say 500,000) into a physical marketplace that's more likely to NOT have what they want (say 10,000 copies)? Nope. Which leads to...

6) Unrealistic Manufacturing Capabililty. With seemingly every popular (read: really common) record of the last 50 years being repressed in 18 colors to satiate insane demand (a particularly impatient, Amazon era, "want it NOW" demand), not to mention the same approach to new LPs by many (Billie Eilish called this out recently), the industry is basically pretending this is the early '80s when massive, industry-wide manufacturing infrastructure meant they could turn big orders around in days rather than months. Trouble is, this isn't the '80s. The big industry titans dumped their pressing facilities & hardware at the dawn of the '90s. Now, demand greatly exceeds manufacturing capabilities, and while there have been new pressing plants opening (and thriving) in recent times, these aren't owned & operated by Warner or Universal: these are the indie operations that kept vinyl alive in the '90s & '00s, and now the big label business they can't turn down means slower turnaround for all the labels & artists that aren't major/indie property. AKA all the artists who ordered records from them for the previous 20+ years. Which leads too...

7) Astronomical Pricing. Yes, rsd pricing is "a quarter above the vig". Cost of doing business in that world, I guess. If it sounds like the mafia, it is, because rsd is 100% "big record industry" controlled in 2024, regardless of early intent. Unsurprisingly, the cost of new records across the board has seen an insane surge, with little mind paid to the audience, whether that be boomer age dudes who can afford $80 Neil Young records & $900 box sets, or high school/college kids, who are expected to drop $40 for a new LP. Regardless of the public face they put on it, the industry still sees "this", meaning records, as a trend that will at least partially fade off. Hence their lack of interest in committing to better & more sustainable pressing & manufacturing. No plants or presses, but the money will be fine for now, thanks.

😎
Flipper Culture. I say this knowing full well there's no way to put this element back in the box, but your ebay/discogs flippers are the boogeyman that its easiest to put a face to. Not much nuance necessary, they just want as many copies of of whatever "hot" rsd release is fetching the most $$ online. We've all had to hit the secondary market to find some "limited" record we missed. Being forced to do it on rsd because 2000 dirtdicks who stood in a line all night & bought up 2/3 of the existing copies of the record by your daughter's favorite artist? At 10x list price? Oh, okay.

9) The Generally Punishing Nature Of Having To Stand In Line For Something You May Not Actually Get. If there's a group of folks out there who love standing in lines, I mean no offense, but come on now. I'd guess that most bands/artists probably aren't aware of what goes on around rsd, or I'd like to think they'd decline involvement, because who wants to punish their fans like that?

I could go on & on but... The record scene has changed a lot since I opened up, particularly in the last 7-8 years. For the better? I kinda doubt it, but we shall see... I've been carping out these warnings since 2011, and there isn't much I can do about it, aside from running my little shop in the manner I see fit. I don't begrudge anyone what they're into, and while my place is as personal as it gets, I don't take these weird record store times personally. I hope anyone who reads this understands that like my store, it comes from a place of love, with all the passion & care that encompasses. In the end, this should be fun... I've had some incredible discoveries, comraderies & experiences in records stores, and that I wish for everyone.

Glad you liked it. I suppose the moral of the story is 'if you love a band you'll go the extra mile for new/special material'. And that's cool, I've certainly done that with ridiculously priced box sets in the past and I'll admit there were a couple of things on the list I looked at and thought "hmmm, that's quite nice', but the price gouging on many of the things on the list just really pissed/pisses me off. When RSD started it seems like a good idea: create a bunch of special, indie only limited editions that would make people visit their bricks and mortar store and for a few years that seemed to work - I remember queuing for things at a variety of record shops and being excited to get my hands on records I wanted, but over time it has, in my opinion (and this is only my grumpy old git opinion) been corrupted by greed (record companies).

This post on Facebook this week by the owner of a shop called Reverberations Vinyl in Bloomington, Illinois sums it all up very well I think. (Sorry for the length, but it is interesting)

Why RSD Is Bad For Records & Record Stores by John Anderson

The "Record Store", as positioned in our culture in 2024, is (or was) a reflection of the mythical independents of the '90s & '00s, places that thrived outside both the interest in, or support from, the record industry. Truly independent stores that were usually small, primarily used, at times meeting places for music people, social hubs for weirdos, discovery zones & more. The reality was far more nuaced, but growing up in the record stores of my youth, I eventually sorted out the differences between chain stores, used shops, big label music, used selling/buying, etc, and the sense of REAL that permeated the independent shops of the world. The person/people behind these places were often big, weird personalities, but they were also the driving force behind what lay on the shelves. New horror soundtrack imports from Italy? Brand new garage rock from PNW hotspots? Skranky dub compilations for under ten bucks? Bootlegs? YES. All things that were specific to the shops, sometimes exclusive, but always reflective of what & who the place WAS. Recreating that to the best of my honest ability has always been my goal here. If its a new record in the racks or on the wall, its likely here because a) I love it, b) I own one too, and c) I'd like to share it with you. Short version: this store is a deeply personal statement. That has always been my focus and always shall be. In the words of the great Andrew Weatherall, "Music's not for everyone".

That's the mystical/romantic part. I have practical reasons as well!

1) As stated above, record stores (vinyl) thrived & grew to what we know now with ZERO interest from the record industry, when it was at its absolute $height$. As "record store culture" became more popular & increasingly commodified, the industry used rsd as a trojan horse to seize the means & the narrative back from the very people who kept it going while they - the industry - were gouging people on CDs & fumbling a cogent approach to digital music.

2) rsd stock is expensive, for us & you. Usually 25% more than your standard releases. Why? Good question.

3) rsd stock is unreturnable for shops. As a store, what you order, you're stuck with. Huge stores don't seem to mind, as you'll see bin after bin of rsd leftovers going back 5+ years, more in some cases.

4) The Disappointment Factor. When "one band fans" & newer collectors have been conditioned to seek out "the one thing", there's inevitable disappointment when smaller stores get tiny allocations of records people seem willing to fight over. That disappointment usually ends up directed at the people/place, meaning yours truly, something I want no part of.

5) Manufactured Scarcity. Undershooting demand by a few thousand units as a marketing strategy sounds fun to someone... not sure who though. Driving a rabid wave of buyers (say 500,000) into a physical marketplace that's more likely to NOT have what they want (say 10,000 copies)? Nope. Which leads to...

6) Unrealistic Manufacturing Capabililty. With seemingly every popular (read: really common) record of the last 50 years being repressed in 18 colors to satiate insane demand (a particularly impatient, Amazon era, "want it NOW" demand), not to mention the same approach to new LPs by many (Billie Eilish called this out recently), the industry is basically pretending this is the early '80s when massive, industry-wide manufacturing infrastructure meant they could turn big orders around in days rather than months. Trouble is, this isn't the '80s. The big industry titans dumped their pressing facilities & hardware at the dawn of the '90s. Now, demand greatly exceeds manufacturing capabilities, and while there have been new pressing plants opening (and thriving) in recent times, these aren't owned & operated by Warner or Universal: these are the indie operations that kept vinyl alive in the '90s & '00s, and now the big label business they can't turn down means slower turnaround for all the labels & artists that aren't major/indie property. AKA all the artists who ordered records from them for the previous 20+ years. Which leads too...

7) Astronomical Pricing. Yes, rsd pricing is "a quarter above the vig". Cost of doing business in that world, I guess. If it sounds like the mafia, it is, because rsd is 100% "big record industry" controlled in 2024, regardless of early intent. Unsurprisingly, the cost of new records across the board has seen an insane surge, with little mind paid to the audience, whether that be boomer age dudes who can afford $80 Neil Young records & $900 box sets, or high school/college kids, who are expected to drop $40 for a new LP. Regardless of the public face they put on it, the industry still sees "this", meaning records, as a trend that will at least partially fade off. Hence their lack of interest in committing to better & more sustainable pressing & manufacturing. No plants or presses, but the money will be fine for now, thanks.

😎
Flipper Culture. I say this knowing full well there's no way to put this element back in the box, but your ebay/discogs flippers are the boogeyman that its easiest to put a face to. Not much nuance necessary, they just want as many copies of of whatever "hot" rsd release is fetching the most $$ online. We've all had to hit the secondary market to find some "limited" record we missed. Being forced to do it on rsd because 2000 dirtdicks who stood in a line all night & bought up 2/3 of the existing copies of the record by your daughter's favorite artist? At 10x list price? Oh, okay.

9) The Generally Punishing Nature Of Having To Stand In Line For Something You May Not Actually Get. If there's a group of folks out there who love standing in lines, I mean no offense, but come on now. I'd guess that most bands/artists probably aren't aware of what goes on around rsd, or I'd like to think they'd decline involvement, because who wants to punish their fans like that?

I could go on & on but... The record scene has changed a lot since I opened up, particularly in the last 7-8 years. For the better? I kinda doubt it, but we shall see... I've been carping out these warnings since 2011, and there isn't much I can do about it, aside from running my little shop in the manner I see fit. I don't begrudge anyone what they're into, and while my place is as personal as it gets, I don't take these weird record store times personally. I hope anyone who reads this understands that like my store, it comes from a place of love, with all the passion & care that encompasses. In the end, this should be fun... I've had some incredible discoveries, comraderies & experiences in records stores, and that I wish for everyone.

Thanks for that article- I agree with so much of it.

I’m someone who grew through the end of vinyl (phase 1) and the cd era. What gets me is the price of vinyl in the UK. Even looking at Amazon prices we seem so much higher than other countries- and this was true pre Brexit too! I quite often go into a record shop and come out with nothing (vinyl) because it’s just too much - especially for a speculative/critic inspired buy.
I do sometimes listen on streaming and then buy but baulk at the new vinyl prices in particular.

Different- as you say - for the fanboy stuff!

I’m someone who grew through the end of vinyl (phase 1) and the cd era. What gets me is the price of vinyl in the UK.

Vinyl certainly occupies the premium end of the market where CD did in the 1980s. My memory is of CDs costing £10-12 in the 1980s, which was an absurd amount of money at the time (e.g. many pubs were £1 a pint or less). A new record was about £5-6 for a standard album, so still not cheap, but not crazy. I don’t think records have ever been cheap in real terms. I’m not sure how much more they are now generally, though I certainly feel RSD is taking the piss.

I also don’t think the majority of RSD stuff is a great investment. I’ve had a lot pass through the pfm shop including a load of sealed NOS stuff (that has come in with collections) and in most cases I’m lucky to get original sticker-price for it even several years after the fact. Some of the better stuff has increased hugely, but if anything the majority settles somewhere below its original purchase price. The eBay flipping thing amazes me, there will be a lot of buyers remorse there for sure when they see what it is worth in say five years!

I picked up the Bowie LP and Billy Bragg EP at Raves From The Grave in Frome this morning. They still have a huge amount of RDS stock left (possibly over ordered?) Anyway its a great little shop full to the brim with new and used LPs and CDs and always worth a visit - I of course came way with a couple of others after digging in the latest secondhand delivery and new sale bargain bins

Managed to acquire the Propaganda release via Rough Trade when their remaining stock went online at 8pm... a long wait in the Cloudflare waiting room though, but all good.

There I was, replete with righteous indignation, with full anti-RSD mode engaged... So I went and bought a couple of RSD releases in last night's online rush. Such a sucker. 🤣
1. Black and red splatter 2000 copy edition of Paranoid (to go with the other drip feed coloured releases that were originally part of the Tear Year War box set that I baulked at in 2017 - there was an orange Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, black and purple debut and clear and blue splatter Never Say Die). I rationalised this by telling myself that I only have 2 copies of Paranoid already (a minty 1976 NEMS press and the 2009 Deluxe Edition 2 CD +1 DVD).
2. OMD Bauhaus Staircase Instrumentals album limited to 3000. Just cos it's a surprisingly good album and bubbly synths are always cool.

That was a cosy £65 delivered. Not hideous but not exactly cheap either.

Well I bought 4 in the end.... 1 x Piccadilly last night, 2 x Assai last night and 1 x paid after-market markup from Discogs...£15 extra so I'll have to tell myself I saved the petrol and parking on Saturday...

Most shops still have rsd stock I think the flippers got there fingers burnt this year ,I got everything that I wanted

Most shops still have rsd stock I think the flippers got there fingers burnt this year ,I got everything that I wanted
While that definitely applies to many some titles sold out quickly and are trading well above RSD prices so just depends on the item. For example, Paramore/David Byrne was gone in no time, Fleet Foxes is trading well above RSD price (see above), Propaganda the same.

Managed to acquire the Propaganda release via Rough Trade when their remaining stock went online at 8pm... a long wait in the Cloudflare waiting room though, but all good.
I got one too but not from Rough Trade as I wasn’t near the front of the queue. I had 5 or 6 shops open in different tabs on the browser and went along until I could get a copy. Sister Ray were sold out as were Juno and another, I forget which, and then RT was queueing but Vinilo came up with the goods. It arrives tomorrow I hope.
There are five or so available at absurd prices on Discogs of course. I still haven’t found a 12 inch copy of the First Life mix which I know I had back in 84 or 85. Bloody ZTT and their random releases in the same covers!

I got one too but not from Rough Trade as I wasn’t near the front of the queue. I had 5 or 6 shops open in different tabs on the browser and went along until I could get a copy. Sister Ray were sold out as were Juno and another, I forget which, and then RT was queueing but Vinilo came up with the goods. It arrives tomorrow I hope.
There are five or so available at absurd prices on Discogs of course. I still haven’t found a 12 inch copy of the First Life mix which I know I had back in 84 or 85. Bloody ZTT and their random releases in the same covers!
Yes, we had this debate around the 12" a few months ago somehere on here. I have two 12" singles that look identical in terms of covers and labels yet are two completely different mixes.

Runoff on one has engraving of 12 ZTAS 2 A-3U-1-1, this is about 6 minutes 27 seconds long
Runoff on the other has engraving of 12 ZTAS 2 A-2U-1-1, this is about 10 minutes 5 seconds long

Got to love ZTT :D

Runoff on one has engraving of 12 ZTAS 2 A-3U-1-1, this is about 6 minutes 27 seconds long

That is the one with the kind of drum-machine solo and industrial metal-bashing. The original vinyl is a monster!

Runoff on the other has engraving of 12 ZTAS 2 A-2U-1-1, this is about 10 minutes 5 seconds long

This is the one that ended up on the CD mix of the album (which was released a fair bit after the vinyl) and has the extended instrumental bit at the end. IIRC 10.05 is an early fade and it is about 10:40 in total, but it is fundamentally the same mix. I’ve got the Japanese 12” of this one, never found a UK one though it certainly exists.

Add the original album mix and the 7” mix and I think that’s all the original vinyl.

Very curious to hear what exactly is on this new LP. Hopefully it will end up on Qobuz, YouTube or whatever.

advertisement

Back