advertisement

Royd Sorcerer grills

vrazji

pfm Member
Since I've received my Sorcerers sans grills, I was thinking of making a pair of them myself... From what I've read the Sorcerers were designed to be used with grills on, and I'd really like to try them that way.

Would anyone be so kind to take a few photos of the original grills (frame) and, if time permits, perhaps take a few basic measurements?

I presume the Merlins' are identical.

Thanks in advance!

First off, may I suggest that I post a grille to someone like Paul @ RFC (am using RR3s instead of Sorcerers at the moment) as there is some 'waveguide' construction with Royd grilles. I'll post a photo when I can, but as promised the measurements are:

26.5cm (velcro) pad to pad lengthways
16.5cm pad to pad widthways
18cm actual width
28cm actual length

...and yes you are rightly inclined to be wanting some grilles! As there is minimal to no crossover on these speakers the grilles make things more balanced and remove a certain 'tizz' that exists on Royds (apart from the Revelation series) sans-grilles.

Many thanks for the measurements! Much appreciated.

I remember seeing some beveled edges on some Royd grill frames, hence the wish for pictures... If a way was found to replicate that it would be ideal.

I do indeed like the Sorcerers very much (mine are the "standard" version) - quite different from some of the more "traditional" monitors I've owned before (=they're not exactly without their own character), but they communicate the music superbly. The "tizz" as you've described it is exactly the thing I'd like to ameliorate.

Yomanze, did you perhaps get round to taking a few pictures of the grills? If it's not too much of a bother of course. And please forgive me if this comes across as pushy...

Yomanze, did you perhaps get round to taking a few pictures of the grills? If it's not too much of a bother of course. And please forgive me if this comes across as pushy...

No, not pushy at all. :)

I will take some when I'm home tonight!

advertisement

Back