advertisement

Royd RR3 repair help?

Uzinusa

Happy Chappy
Hi. It's been years since I was last here and come seeking help to repair an absolutely gorgeous pair of Royd RR3 (with dedicated stands). They sound shite in brief and I'm not sure where to start. Bass not working, thin and tinny sound. Have searched re replacement drivers etc and not sure how I can proceed. Scanspeak-type offering available for tweet but no idea what can be done re bass unit...or how best to dismantle etc. If anyone can help get these puppies firing on all cylinders I'd be very grateful.
Cheers, Andy

There is always the possibility that your bass/mids are suffering from the dreaded Royd cone damping compound migration into the voice coils syndrome. Easy enough to test for by pressing the driver cones inward gently. If it feels like they are trying to wade through treacle then they likely are. Solution is to painstakingly scrap out the goop using long strips of paper or thin card inserted into the gap between coil and centre pole piece, as well as cleaning as much of the centre pole piece that you can reveal (again by pushing the cone in gently) with solvent.

Yip, that's a good point. I did try that and the cones are without resistance. (I knew Royd drivers could get gummy sometimes as I've got a pair of Doublets that suffered until they got a good seeing to, and still have Gromit's lovely Merlins doing a fine job).

dunno whether you want to proceed with a woofer change or not 🤔- if yes, I have a NOS one for the RR2/RR3 (only one unit that I kept for my ex RR2s). let me know if interested, please

Hi, thanks for this offer Coltrane. Can you tell me a little more about the driver you have as I'd obviously need to find a match for the other speaker. Cheers, Uz.

The woofer drivers don't need matching as much as the tweeters do, so you should be fine on that matter.

My wife once pushed mine too hard and blew one of the tweeters. Fortunately they were easy to source as standard parts, and I bought an extra pair, just in case. I probably won't need them now, as it's currently in the home theatre, where it doesn't get as much stress as in a 2-channel system.

BTW, I recently sold a couple pairs of my Royds, specially the Minstrel SE and Seven. At some point one has too many speakers around. I still have the RR3, Sintra 2, and AV77 (centre channel). :)

advertisement

Back