advertisement

Roxy Music

I'm an Enid fan, holding as I do several of their recordings on the black stuff.

I am yet to convert to CD. Does anyone know the best place to start?

When I was about 13 I went food shopping with my mother to Safeway in Edgware Road, walking from Paddington. On the way was a parade of small shops that I found myself in and I bought the first Roxy Music album on cassette.
I played that cassette over and over and it was short that I thought some of it was missing, but although the cassette is long gone, it remains a wonderful album and I think Paul Thompson's drumming on it is among the best ever recorded anywhere by anyone.
Some albums can be treasures of your childhood, and that one is one of mine.

For those of you not old enough to remember the 70's, Phil Manzaneera of Roxy Music released several albums, the most notable is Diamond Head a brilliant album, effectively Roxy without Ferry. Also a live album called 801 Live by the same. Both these albums received critical acclaim at the time. I have recently purchased both on CD and have to say that they are well worth getting if you like Roxy you will like these. 801 Live is a superb live recording.

On another note the SHM CD pressing of Siren by Roxy is very good, if you can get a copy it's worth having.

All the best

Adrian

Brian Ferry auditioned for King Crimson once, I always wondered what things would be like in the alternative universe where Bob Fripp had hired him?

Will be ordering the box set, for the price it's worth having even if the first two are the only ones I play more than once.

Ordered last night - the fact that they sound good swung it for me.

I'm too young to remember the Eno era, but love all that stuff. The later stuff isn't as good, but it works for me as a guilty secret/nostalgia thing.

I'm such a sucker for these boxes.

Really enjoying the set, the albums sound great. My one sticking point is the singles comp - I don't remember Virginia Plain sounding quite as dark, it seems to lack a bit of spark. But it's a long time since I had vinyl so maybe I have mis-remembered that.

Dave, you don't get anywhere by being satisfied. :). Great set. I could think of a few artists that deserve this quality of release. Bowie for one, the old RCAs still the best CDs I've heard and they could be better.

advertisement

Back