advertisement

Roon

Would this be sufficient if mostly used for streaming?

Intel NUC - NUC5i5RYH - Fully Installed with ROON Rock OS

i5-5250 Chipset: 1.6GHz CPU

8GB RAM

128GB SSD HDD

Space to fit additional 2.5" SSD/HDD if required

Hi, I have one of those in a fanless case and it’s fine, I have a local library of around 3k albums and about the same on Qobuz. The only thing that seems a bit slow is search but I don’t think that’s processor related, more internet latency.

Reactions: RoA
Installing rock is trivial, really easy so don’t let that be a deciding factor. 5th gen nuc is getting on a bit

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Slight threadjack but…if I only use streaming services (tidal, Spotify, bbc sounds, qobuz) I assume I don’t need a room core and instead can just download the app onto my phone. I like the idea of an easy to use interface that brings all of the streaming services together with some of the other room features such as suggestions for new(to me) music.

Slight threadjack but…if I only use streaming services (tidal, Spotify, bbc sounds, qobuz) I assume I don’t need a room core and instead can just download the app onto my phone. I like the idea of an easy to use interface that brings all of the streaming services together with some of the other room features such as suggestions for new(to me) music.
No. If you use any aspect of Roon you must have a core running. As far as streaming services go, only Tidal & Qobuz are available via Roon. The others won’t allow Roon the extra information required for Roon to offer the same interface with those as they do with Tidal & Qobuz.

Mick

No. If you use any aspect of Roon you must have a core running. As far as streaming services go, only Tidal & Qobuz are available via Roon. The others won’t allow Roon the extra information required for Roon to offer the same interface with those as they do with Tidal & Qobuz.

Mick
Thanks for the fast response - that probably changes my plans in the near future for a possible new streamer.

I did the free trial of this a while ago along with qobuz. I really liked it but in my situation I was having to run it on a laptop which obviously isn't ideal. With tidal and qobuz integrated into my streamer natively I don't really have a use for it but it is a great platform

Intel NUC NUC7i5DNK Mini PC Core i5-7300U 2.6GHz/8GB/128GB here, bought for £170 off eBay, running rock sat quite happily next to my router and has performed faultlessly. I don’t use DSP mind and not a particularly large library, which is plugged into the Nuc via sd card/usb

advertisement

Back