advertisement

[FS] Roon Rock NUC in Fanless Case

mfin

pfm Member
Selling my Roon Rock NUC in Fanless Case

£280 posted, but I'd rather meet up than post items. I am in Herefordshire (NOT Hertfordshire, and am happy to drive halfway within reasonable distance)

I am selling all of my hifi, see my other listings for cables etc.

This is an i5 with 8Gb RAM, it's OS HD is 120Gb and has a 2.5 inch SSD 120Gb for more storage.

I built this up when studying the forums for using the best specs and it has operated faultlessly. Ample power for demanding multi-room setups without running hot.

Minor mark on front where I'd had a piece of black tape over the blue power led so I didn't have to look at it.

I've reset it, ready for the buyer. It's ready to go set to pick up an IP address from your router and be accessed by http://rock.local (not that you have to set anything up on it. Once you can see it on your network as a device on your mac or pc you can browse to "Data --> Storage --> InternalStorage" and put any local flac and mp3 files you have there.

When you load Roon on a computer or device it will see this Roon Rock Server and you can select it, then set about adding your Tidal and/or Qobuz accounts. That's accessing all your music sorted. You can then search and add things to your library.

On your computer or device you can also go to "Settings --> Audio" and enable the playing of music to any Roon End-Point compatible hifi or smart speakers on your network.

Roon requires a subscription.

...personally I have absolutely loved using Roon. It gives you one fantastic user interface to sort and play your music over any hifi you have that is Roon compatible, including all the usual multi-room setups you may have. With the Roon ARC app you can also access all your music out on the go, and that app is Carplay compatible. Remarkably, it even lets you stream music to your phone/car that is the flac files stored on the Roon Rock NUC (as well as all the Tidal and Qobuz), clever stuff.

IMG-5135.jpg

IMG-5134.jpg

IMG-5131.jpg

IMG-5130.jpg

Bump. Roon Rock Server, ready to go, runs effortlessly cool, all the performance needed even for demanding Roon setups such as multi rooms playing at once with upscaling going on. Will do a standard hifi setup even with upscaling to something like DSD256 pretty much stood on its head.

It will probably help your sale if you say what generation of i5-based NUC it uses, because NUCs with Core i5 processors have been made for almost a decade now, and their capabilities vary quite a lot between the generations.

Sure, it is a 7th Gen i5-7260U.

The demands of Roon Rock are really not much at all by the way, it's really just ticking over and running nice and cool.

The only time that significant demands happen with Roon Rock that I am aware of is if people are running multiple different streams of music to many different rooms, all using various upscaling and EQ etc, at the same time.

My brother uses the exact same spec with a £20k ATC and DCS system.

advertisement

Back