advertisement

Roon 1.5: Linn DS compatibility and MQA software decoding

Mr_Sukebe

pfm Member
Just spotted that Roon 1.5 has now been released, complete with Linn DS compatibility and MQA software decoding.
Assumed that some of you might wish to have a heads up.

Couple of points stood out:
- Apparently the Linn DS compatibility requires a firmware update to the Linn unit
- The MQA decoding option means that users might want to sanity check where they conduct MQA decoding if they have a hardware capable unit. Conduct software decoding, and Roon can then apply EQ. As I understand it, it's not possible apply EQ and then output a signal for decoding by a downstream piece of hardware (though I did get the impression that some Meridian units might have a future fix for that).

Have to say that this is great stuff, for one I'd very much considered looking more closely as a DS unit.

I might even go trial Tidal.

Just spotted that Roon 1.5 has now been released, complete with Linn DS compatibility and MQA software decoding.
Assumed that some of you might wish to have a heads up.

Couple of points stood out:
- Apparently the Linn DS compatibility requires a firmware update to the Linn unit
- The MQA decoding option means that users might want to sanity check where they conduct MQA decoding if they have a hardware capable unit. Conduct software decoding, and Roon can then apply EQ. As I understand it, it's not possible apply EQ and then output a signal for decoding by a downstream piece of hardware (though I did get the impression that some Meridian units might have a future fix for that).

Have to say that this is great stuff, for one I'd very much considered looking more closely as a DS unit.

I might even go trial Tidal.

Roon can tell if you have an MQA capable DAC. If you do, it's default is not to do any processing itself, and just send the file to the MQA DAC. If you apply DSP to an MQA file it "strips" the MQA rendering info from the MQA file, applies the first unfold,and DSP to the music part of the file, and the sends the result to the MQA DAC along with the rendering information for the MQA DAC, and it then applies the MQA filters (and upsampling if needed).

Last edited:
The Linn firmware is already available, and has been for some weeks, admittedly as a beta rather than full release, but anyone can get it.

Mick

So what is the sonic effect of MQA 24.48 vs the first unfolded 24/96..assuming one doesnt have a MQA dac

advertisement

Back