advertisement

Room Questionnaire

Purité Audio

Trade: Purite Audio
Just a quick question, how many PFMers have a room dedicated purely to audio,
a room where you can place equipment anywhere you choose to maximise SQ.
For those that have to 'share' ,how many actual positions are there available for you to position your loudspeakers.
I expect you all have doors, fireplaces ,thoroughfares etc ,so how many places can you site your equipment.
Thanks in advance,
Keith.

My listening room is also the living room and home office, but I can place stuff where I want. (Yes I do have a wife :) )

I've moved this to Trade Discussion as regular members don't have posting rights in Trade Announcements, so you'd get no non-trade responses!

PS my listening room is just that, a listening room - it has no function but to house the system and record collection.

Thanks Tony ,have you tried your loudspeakers in differing positions and acoustically measured the room?
Keith.

Yes dedicated music room here (with small tv just for occasional football games)

Never measured room and the speakers can only really go in one location, I did however use Steve Deckert's (Decware - USA) white paper recommendations when sizing the room.

I am thinking of supplying something like an XTZ analyser, which PFM members can borrow,and then send on to the next recipient?
It really is interesting when you see your rooms contribution.
Keith.

Thanks for the heads up on the Hunecke site. I have had longstanding room issues and room treatment requires so much as to make the living room unusable and parametric EQ kills the fidelity

I had worked out a couple of the room node areas highlighted but this details them all very accurately. So whilst I have optimised the system to perform at its best I can now address the other key factor, and work out the best listening position and work backwards by then placing the speakers relative to the listening position rather than the other way round which is most peoples strategy

Not today though - its too hot!!

Bosh Hi, absolutely my pleasure, there is room correction and room correction, I don't know where you are based but check out the Trinnov products, absolutely transparent .
Kr Keith.

Paul Hi, whereabouts are you, I think we are going to get a XTZ or something similar to loan to PFMers, is there anything really noticeably 'wrong' with your room,bass room resonance issues are most common, that constant brrrrrrrrrrrr noise behind the sound at certain frequencies.
Keith.

My gear is in a small, but dedicated room, which has been measured & acoustically treated.
In the previous (larger) lounge, it was probably 70% my use, 30% family use. This meant that the set-up was compromised to a degree, although the Mrs was fairly OK with the gear. Just the cables being visible that she really disliked & didn't want any bass traps etc visible. Fair enough, I guess.
So although a smaller room presents the sound differently to a larger, airier room, it's "mine, ALLLL mine" & my ears are now accustomed to the more intimate, acoustics.
Matt.

Thanks Tony ,have you tried your loudspeakers in differing positions and acoustically measured the room?

Due to the layout of the room and need to access records shelved in the alcoves there is really only one valid orientation, but with some control of distance from rear wall, distance apart etc. Luckily most speakers seem to work very well here. The only pair I've had measured (by Rob as I have no suitable mic or software) were my first pair of 15" Golds. They looked like this:

3945256119_347e1ee8a4_o.jpg

Both on and measured with the mic at the listening position (ignore the db scale, it was nothing like that loud, maybe 75db). I suspect my current pair of Golds are a bit flatter again as the driver centre is closer to ear level and I'm currently using arguably grippier solid state amplification rather than tubes. It's a great sounding room.

Keith
I'm in NE UK.

I'm not aware of a specific problem, but I have 2 pairs of Briks in a small room, about 12ft x 12ft, and I wouldn't be surprised if the room acoustics could be improved.

Paul

Im very interested to as i've moved into another room, trying a few different DSP solutions at the moment and the difference it makes is very clear especially when using full range 2+2 setup.

Completely agree my Genelec 4 ways 8260 and 7270 subs really generate huge bass issues without their active room correction.
Keith.

I will have a dedicated room for listening, after I have finished redecorating other parts of the house. I haven't yet started planning where to place stuff, this will take some thought and experimentation as it is a U-shaped room with roof-eaves.

Mike
SW London/Middlesex

Keith
Is there any software that I can use to model a L shaped room, as all sites I have seen only do a square/oblong room. Room is our main living room but no TV only HiFi can put speakers almost anyplace I like as long as my wife doesn't object, not to bad on size as 5m x 6m x 2.4m high
Thanks
Mike

advertisement

Back