advertisement

Room acoustics - diy or get an expert in?

I have added large soffit type corner traps and a couple of panels in a 30 x 18 L shaped room and it has certainly helped the sound.

Wondering if anyone is the South East has some decent measuring equipment (with a mic, etc) I could borrow to measure the impact. I'd be willing to pay to hire the kit. Please PM me if you could help - Cheers, Mike

The Room EQ software is free to download from the the 'Home Theatre Shack' website, or Dirac offer a two week trial of their room correction software.
Keith.

The Room EQ software is free to download from the the 'Home Theatre Shack' website, or Dirac offer a two week trial of their room correction software.
Keith.

Thanks for that Keith I'll take a look maybe this would be easier. I guess I just need to buy a mic that plugs into the laptop for the actual measuring ?

Thanks for that Keith I'll take a look maybe this would be easier. I guess I just need to buy a mic that plugs into the laptop for the actual measuring ?

Mike Hi, yes ,a USB microphone, extremely straightforward, try the Dirac trial too, brings a big improvement here,
KR Keith

You can measure all you want , they basically will tell you not very much and some of what the graphs tell you cannot be corrected. Often a very small "correction" iro measurements or even positioning will give huge audible gains when adding treatment

At any rate , I have an 11m x8m dedicated room I am re doing

False ceiling with Rockwool , 20 m2 of acoustic solutions wood panels for diffusion and absorption 30 x 12" x 12" slat diffusors , 8 tubular bass traps , 4 triangular chunk bass traps , 6 1200 x 600 absorption panels and so on.
Gonna cost me round 5000quid and take 2-3 weeks.
I have discarded all the acousticians plans as they wanted to treat the room according to an unfixed listening position - I have yet to decide where to listen.
Once I have sorted it out , then only will I do the Dirac thing and will tune the room by ear to get a sound *I* like.

Fantastic I will give the Dirac thing a go as well - I'm pretty much done with room correction doing this more out of curiosity than anything else.

I used a USB mic. Using the EQ software gives a starting point and will show how the effect changes with increases in absorption and traps etc. Soft furnishings, acoustic absorbing curtains, rugs all help.
It cost me around £400/500 to get a good sounding room. Although I must admit I had already spent on the floor treatment and reinforcement as it is suspended.

Fantastic I will give the Dirac thing a go as well - I'm pretty much done with room correction doing this more out of curiosity than anything else.

Give it a whirl, you can adjust the 'target curve' to give a bit more bass heft if you wish,
Keith.

You need bass lift in the target , the auto target graph on dirac gives you this as a default (also includes the treble droop).
the issue is editing the target curve as you cannot hear any changes in real time , so you have to program in the bass bump , do an optimise , load the filter and then compare to an existing filter.

Thanks for the photos, James. Ideally, I'd like to avoid that look. Must think some more.

What's the diameter of those tubes?

10 cm and they can be hidden. Some of mine are hidden, the rest aren't due to laziness on my part but could be fairly easily.

Incidentally, Bub. Did you get your room re-checked over when getting the 150s on phase 4 no speaker stands? Is the extra energy those 150s kick out managed by the treatments made when you had 100s on phase 11 plus speaker stands?

The solidity and extra resolution I heard from the jump from sme20 to sme30 implies more energy is going into the room, is it managed by preexisting treatments? It sounded like it was (it sounded fantastic) but I cannot remember details like I used to.

Hi,

I only got the room treated after I got the 150s, the 100s didn't set off the room mode noticeably. The SME 30 sounds fantastic at the moment with my one-off sapphire cantilever (paskinn look away).

DSC_0542_zpseefde500.jpg

ooo. Industrial Sexxxxay

Apologies I though it was when you had 100s. I need someone to perform the fal-tor-pan on me.

advertisement

Back