advertisement

Rolleiflex cable release

guybat

[+]
Dropped my Rolleiflex cable release somewhere crawling through deserted buildings in Beelitz-Heilstätten. This was a kosher one cannibalised from the Rollei hand-grip thingie. I've since read that any cheapo cable-release will work fine on a Rollei.

Is this true? Any recommendations for a simple flexible (i.e. cloth covered rather than stiff vinyl) one?

In the early sixties, I used a camera on a tripod with a cable release, and a device called an Autoknips. This was a self-timer which clipped on to the end of the cable release. Once you set it going, it gradually pushed in the release until the exposure was taken. The idea was to eliminate camera shake as much as possible. Although the concept was primitive, the device was beautifully made in West Germany, as was much photographic kit in those days.

I've got one - does that make me an old-fashioned photographer or a terrorist, or, given recent attempts by the government about taking photos on the street, are they actually equivalent?

I have one as well. Better not pack it on my next trip through LHR. I've never used a release on my rolleicord - is there a way to secure it, or do you just let it flap around?

advertisement

Back