advertisement

ROKSAN RADIUS 5 & NIMA ARM

Not sure what Nima arm's are worth these days (excellent arm) however the Radius 5 are one worse solution, in my book I'd much rather have a Rega.

I bought mine 'used' off eBay for about £400. As long as its in its original packaging then where's the problem? Everything we buy has arrived in our home via planes, trains and vans anyway.

Thing I don't get with the Radius is how the RRP jumped from around the £700 mark (for the maple) when it was released, to the prices they are quoting now. If there is a so called Mk1 and Mk2 version, then be careful about the fact that you might simply be paying virtually the same RRP for a 5 year old Mk1 model as it was on its release.

In terms of build quality, its two bits of veneered mdf with a couple of rubber grommets providing the isolation. If they have upgraded to a Mk2 version then I hope they have improved the bearing, beacause at over a £1000 there are decks that p!ss all over it in terms of quality i.e. The Gyrodec. The bearing and motor left a lot to be desired I felt, but I could never fault that arm though.

I replaced the motor on mine with an Origin Live one and it was a huge improvement. Sold the deck on for £650 in the end with that addition so it cost me nothing to own it for 3 years or so. Please don't think I am trying to put you off this deck, I am just saying that the one I owned was in no way at all worth an RRP of £1300 brand new. Not a chance.

I do like the gyrodec se model but its £1000 plus arm

The price you're paying though for arm & deck is OK. All I was trying to say is that for some reason the Radius is being marketed as if its in the same sort of bracket as the Gyro when its not. I downgraded from a Gyro to a Radius to raise a bit of cash and I regretted it. That's not to say the Radius was a disappointment, its just not a Gyro.

I did enjoy the Nima though, and its still the only unipivot I have owned so far. Takes a little time to setup, but its OK once you've got your head around the general principle of the thing. A really simple arm that people go nuts for, its just seems to work when there really isn't a lot there. Aluminium tube with a bit of perspex glued on the end and yet somehow it sounds great.

Hi, I've got a one & I use a Reson Reco MM cartridge... Does anybody have any other suggestion? I use a Cursa 3 with MM board so I can't use a MC cheers in advance...

There was a nice new in box 5.1 on eBay at the weekend: I asked the seller to confirm what finish it was since it was a stock photo on his listing and got such an angry and rude response I abruptly changed my mind about buying. Would have been a bargain, but I lost interest...

advertisement

Back