advertisement

ROKSAN RADIUS 5 & NIMA ARM

oceanobsession

pfm Member
Hi all, im still on the search for a bargain, and ive found this

ROKSAN RADIUS 5 & NIMA ARM new boxed less than half price

any good cheers ocean

The arm is better than the deck in all honesty. The motor on them can be prone to really loud chatter (at least mine was and others have had the same problem). Might be something they have sorted out by now though

lovely arm, on my LP12 I preferred it (through the optional higher quality lead) to an Ittok.

I think that if you want a record deck and you have £600, you're daft not to buy it. Nimas are about £400 new alone iirc. What sort of a deck do you get for £200? A Rega P2 if you are lucky.

If you don't like the thing after a year or two I bet you can sell it here for what you paid.

Thanks for youre opinions, it does seem that there is a mk1 and mk2 this

being the mk 1 and in maple, the black one would go a treat, but ive not

rulled maple out yet is the build quality good ocean.

I'll pass on that Q.. but sure looks purty/ seen the ad now. I don't think it will be there for long would it if its rrp is £1399? posting a tt would be my only concern. seems like a no-brainer, but im not the expert.

It's a bargain. The Maple version has the advantage that it isn't the obvious dust trap that the clear Perspex version is. Not that it doesn't trap dust between the two parts if the chassis ... But at least you can't see it :). The arm is a peach.

have seen the ad on e-bay for the maple one come up regularly at £635 without selling, bit of a mystery why?

I say be very careful if its on ebay ' don't risk it if its being posted , go and collect it or see it 1st before parting with any cash , make sure the motor's ok .

I had a maple Radius 5 for nearly 5 years till I sold it last year. Kept the excellent Nima arm for my Lenco project. No motor problem with mine and it's a nice step up from Rega P3 I had. I think that's a good buy if you can check it before pick up.

I bought mine 'used' off eBay for about £400. As long as its in its original packaging then where's the problem? Everything we buy has arrived in our home via planes, trains and vans anyway.

Thing I don't get with the Radius is how the RRP jumped from around the £700 mark (for the maple) when it was released, to the prices they are quoting now. If there is a so called Mk1 and Mk2 version, then be careful about the fact that you might simply be paying virtually the same RRP for a 5 year old Mk1 model as it was on its release.

In terms of build quality, its two bits of veneered mdf with a couple of rubber grommets providing the isolation. If they have upgraded to a Mk2 version then I hope they have improved the bearing, beacause at over a £1000 there are decks that p!ss all over it in terms of quality i.e. The Gyrodec. The bearing and motor left a lot to be desired I felt, but I could never fault that arm though.

I replaced the motor on mine with an Origin Live one and it was a huge improvement. Sold the deck on for £650 in the end with that addition so it cost me nothing to own it for 3 years or so. Please don't think I am trying to put you off this deck, I am just saying that the one I owned was in no way at all worth an RRP of £1300 brand new. Not a chance.

Forget what colour it is, whether it's maple or acrylic - at that price just buy it.
I've heard the Nima on a Linn LP12 and it's much better than the Ittok it replaced. Just buy it. You should have bitten his arm off by now.

advertisement

Back