advertisement

Roksan Caspian problem

davidjt

pfm Member
My old caspian appears to function normally but emits loud spitting sounds on one channel when switching off - so loud in fact that this morning I disconnected the speaker first and have decided not to risk it any more.

Before I get out the tool box, does anyone happen to know whether this is likely to be ageing caps in the psu, or some other component in the soft-start? The former might be an easy replacement job - less sure about the latter.
(The last time I had a (Cyrus) pre-amp fixed via my local dealer, the cost was roughly equal to it's s/h value - making it a 50/50 repair/landfill problem.)

Which version of the Caspian is it? My old M1 has a pair of finder relays disconnecting the power amp stage from the speakers when powering off. If yours is a M1 too, you could put it to standby while playing music (by pressing "mode" a few seconds). If you get the same sounds, I'd hazard a guess that one of the relays does not disconnect properly.

Best,
Oliver

Thanks - yes, it's an M1. I'll try that.
Fortunately I have some old 'disposable' speakers. And contact cleaner.

Unscrew it at the top and the sides, then pull it back gently. It might stick a bit.

Simples. Something binding always makes me slightly nervous.

Caps all look OK, nothing obvious wrong and no sign that I could see of any relays, which is odd. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

And thanks for the assistance.

Photo-2019-08-20-21-17.jpeg

Look at the speaker terminals - the relays and the related parts are on their own board screwed to them.

Well I thought it was an M1, but having finally found the time to take another look the SPEAKER PROTECTION board shown above definitely isn't there. So presumably it's the M1's predecessor, and the board was implemented in the M1 for a reason.....

I'll make a few enquiries but suspect a professional repair would be uneconomic, which is a shame as it was an old favourite.

Thanks again for the assistance.

advertisement

Back