advertisement

Rod

Charlie_1

pfm Member
I thought the only decent Rod Stewart LP was 'Every Picture' but recently bought 'Never a Dull Moment' and 'Gasoline Alley' and they're an absolute blast! They are so much fun if you like your rock 'n roll. Some really good songs being knocked out with much enthusiasm by all.

As a result I also bought Faces 'A Nod Is As Good As a Wink' and that is a hoot too.

Wish I'd looked into his early work sooner. I was probably put off by his 'Do You Think I'm Sexy' phase :(

Anything else worth a listen?

His first 4 solo albums are all utterly fantastic. I'm not so keen on The Faces, mind. Loved him dropping a mention of Ewan McColl on The One Show recently, of all places.

For all his leopard skin trousers, I get the impression he's a damn good egg and songs like 'The Killing of Georgie' - which tears me up just thinking about it - suggest there's a brilliant playlist to be made from the best tracks from the rest of his solo work.

He is a genuine star who doesn't take himself too seriously & is happy to be seen enjoying life. Very underrated critically due to his later less regarded work, decent songwriter when he puts his mind to it also.

Some lovely violin playing on those early albums...
One of my all time favourite tracks is his version of 'I'd rather go blind' Has me blubbing every time.

All the faces albums (you can leave 'Overtures and Beginners' if you want) plus 'Pool Hall Richard' single and all of his Mercury / Vertigo albums.

People have a bit of a downer on 'Smiler' as it was beginning to be a bit 'satin 'n' bum wiggles' but you can pick up copies for buttons and it has these absolute stoaters on it:

As for the Warners stuff. Hmm. Start with 'Atlantic Crossing' and see how you go - skip 'Sailing' and the rest of the LP is OK. If you like it, 'A Night on the Town' is very similar.
'Footloose and Fancy Free' has 'Hot Legs' on it but the rest of the album is a bit *meh*.

After that, you can ignore most of it, although I do have a soft spot for 'Time' from 2013 if only for this:

Some lovely violin playing on those early albums...
One of my all time favourite tracks is his version of 'I'd rather go blind' Has me blubbing every time.
I have to confess that my father was the violin player, tricky dicky, on those early albums.
He would get a phone call late in the evening saying come to the studio at midnight and off he'd go.
I remember him being on top of the pops - I was about 13, and suddenly attractive to girls despite my body and face. Those were the days...

I have to confess that my father was the violin player, tricky dicky, on those early albums.
He would get a phone call late in the evening saying come to the studio at midnight and off he'd go.
I remember him being on top of the pops - I was about 13, and suddenly attractive to girls despite my body and face. Those were the days...

A great story.

It seems Rod is still a good egg...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-model-railway-club-vandalised-market-deeping

oops stunsworth got there first, but anyway... love the Faces stuff and the vocals on Jeff Beck's early albums, but I will try his early solo albums next.

He is avidly into model railway, has quite a set up at one of his mansions. Has a full sized football pitch also. A total legend

superb lyricist, I don't appreciate poetry but his rhyming couplets are quite beautiful/comic:

She was tall, thin and tarty
And she drove a Maserati
Faster than sound
I was heaven bound
Although I must have looked a creep
In my army surplus jeep
Was I being too bold
Before the night could get old

Also worth checking out his vocal contributions to Jeff Beck "Truth" - brilliant album
and Python Lee Jackson - "in a broken dream'

I am a big fan of Rod's early work, both solo & with The Faces, in fact I played "A Nods as Good as a Wink" & "Never a Dull Moment" today. I am okay up to "Smiler" but other than the odd track like "The Killing of Georgie" I lost interest, but it doesn't alter the fact his early work was superb.

I actually think he is our best rock/blues singer. Far better than Daltrey & Joe Cocker who seem to have more cred for some reason despite being far less talented

Different folks for different strokes, but I know where you are coming from :)

I am sure that I have seen an interview where Rod describes himself as a folk singer (or something like that) and it made a lot of sense when he was talking about it - although I can't remember where I saw it.

advertisement

Back