advertisement

Robert Simpson Symphonies

Gilfachphil

pfm Member
I have been enjoying the Hyperion box set of the complete symphonies by Robert Simpson lately. 20th century symphonies on a large scale. Wonderful recorded orchestral sound. They have been broadcasting them on Radio 3 in the last couple of weeks as well. The box set was available in HMV last week for under £30. Mine came from MDT recently as one of their offers (£33 'til April 25th).

Phil.

I have had the set for a month or so - £32 from HMV - I'm really having trouble getting into them. Just sound loud and nothing else most of the time. A clue as to where in the series to find an "easy entry" would be much appreciated!!

Hi Jerry,

not sure whether there are easy entries. I played No.6 for the first time last night, I suspect listening quite often will be needed before it becomes familiar enough to become easier. But lots of music is like that - I played Mina Agossi 'Zaboum' a couple of times and really did not like it (indeed offered it here for sale) but now find it really enjoyable - so I guess stick with it and only play it when you feel like a big noise. At the right times I really enjoy what might be described as 'hooligan music', a big orchestra really letting rip, and then at others a solo harpsichord hits the appropriate buttons.

Phil.

Hi Phil - thanks for the reply. But Darn! - I was hoping you'd say "no no, its not all loud noise at all - have a listen to the 2nd movement of the 4th, it's really moving" or something like that. But, no, you just seem to have confirmed my prejudices! I'll certainly give it another try though - thanks again!

Jerry

Sorry Jerry,

I'm only just starting out with these myself. I'm sure I have noticed huge dynamic ranges tho' from all out levels of full brass and percussion down to the tiniest moments. Try the second movt. of No. 3 for some pianissimo (just mistyped that, nearly a Freudian slip -painissimo).

For some really quiet music try Kuhnau keyboard works played on a Harmonia Mundi 1+1 by John Butt, from a smallish organ with bells and bird calls (nearly said whistles) down to a clavichord.

Phil.

I've a couple of discs out of the set, specifically symphonies 1 & 8 and symphony 11 / Nielsen variations. For a variety of reasons (unrelated to their merit!) I haven't given them enough listening time to form a proper opinion, but of those two the latter seems much more elliptical and elusive - the bracing, thrilling 1st symphony is probably as good a place to start as any.

I listened to No. 7 last night, quite reminiscent of 'The Rite of Spring' in some ways. It has quite an unsettling first section and is definitely not loud noise all the way through, in fact it ends very quietly and I was surprised to realise that it had finished and that the silence was not a gap between movements (it is in one movement with three sections defined).

Persevere!

Phil.

I got them over the years as individual releases.... favourites are 3, 5, 8, 9. I have to say the 4th made no sense to me at all. These are not symphonies you are going to listen to more than 3 or 4 times in a decade but are still worthwhile IMO. If Simpson has a weakness, its perhaps a lack of variety and colour in his orchestration, leading to a bit of feeling of sameyness at times. But actually there's a lot of interesting stuff going on.

I think Nielsen is the most obvious influence, with Bruckner and Beethoven close behind. As an attempt to write valid and relevant tonal symphonies in the 2nd half of the twentieth century that avoid falling into post-romantic pastiche of sibelius/rachmaninov/stravinsky etc they are a very very good try.

advertisement

Back