advertisement

Robert plant and Allison Krauss??

Why should Elvis Costello have special abilities to tell these two apart, it isn't though he is married to one of them? (You are probably confusing Alison Krauss with Diana Krall.)

Those are two I always get mixed up. Same with Brand X and Generation X; Black Flag and Black Uhuru; Guided by Voices and Voice of the Beehive; and Dinosaur Jr and Jr Walker and the All-Stars.

It's spinning here right now. The production is a bit soupy, but nothing to get upset about. The song selection is indeed interesting, though what makes it work for me is the restraint of the two singers, especially Percy, which lends the record a beguiling tension.

Incidentally, I was in Sister Ray a week or so back and this was playing. I've never seen so many punters go up to the counter to ask what it was.

Also incidentally, my brother's girlfriend is Alison Krauss's double.

Why does she need a double? Govt protection programme? Does Jonathan Ribee hate C&W that much?

Album sounds pretty good to me, well recorded, if a little 'soupy' bass-wise as mentioned before. Page & Plant still one of the best bands I've heard live (at Reading too, which isn't known for it's acoustics or cosy atmosphere) so long live Percy!

I've heard the songs and they are excellent, as is the production. I used to work reviewing albums for music magazines and would have given it five stars.
I think all you unbelievers should go out and buy it. Obviously Plant and Krauss aren't as rich as they once were and could do with a cuppa.

Jack

I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool Zep person (could easily have been -- sort of missed them while growing up), but happened to see RP & his band at a free festival a few years ago. Absolutely astonishing performer; completely riveting.

I occurs to me one of the things about "the older rock star" as a genre is that they tend to have done a hell of a lot of playing music (owing to advanced years). If they choose to use that experience, they're often tremendously good. If they don't, it's just embarrassing.

Plant uses it.

Got my vinyl copy last week. Must admit I'm not a Robert Plant fan but I do like Alison Krauss. Played it once and was very disappointed. I wasn't impressed with the production ....a long, long way from the quality of Alison Krauss with Union Station. Maybe Peterborough is more interesting! I was listening on headphones so I'll give it one more try on the SBLs and if I still feel bored it will go in the "listen in five years time" box.

Regards,
Tony. B

I've got it and like it, though the song that gets played on the radio is my least favourite track.
The Album is called Raising Sand, and Peatboghorror is surrounded with gravel pits, so it's not difficult to see where the insipiration came from.

The old place is not so bad - Hifi trading Station, Analogue Seduction, and until recently Stamford Audio.

I have it and not really anything special but a good chill out album. Bought it for the track played on radio the others are a bit slow. Dont reckon much to the musicians playing some simple stuff that gives an overall stuffy presentation.

I saw the Plant/Krauss outfit last night in Cardiff.
I suppose it's possible that my reaction to it is somewhat jaundiced by the logic of the sub-human scum that run the Cardiff International Arena, in that they lay out the (unfixed) seats so that if you pay 40 quid for a ticket, you end up with a view like this:

2477344649_e8feb3f524.jpg

Basically, they ignore the sensible convention of staggering seat rows on flat areas, so that you can see between one set of gelled spikes and the next -- rather than being expected to look either through their heads, or crane your neck round them.

Anyway, about 3 songs in there is a moment when Ms. Krauss seems to be communicating something with that truly astonishing, tactical-nuclear-weapon / gleaming-sword-of-truth voice of hers, and then it was gone, never to resurface. Her fiddle playing is also fabulous, but you probably get about 2 minutes of it over the whole set. Plant turns up and sings his prearranged bits quietly and in tune, with an air of wondering vaguely why he's there. "Black Dog" gets played, on a goddam banjo, FFS.

Between every precisely-measured, known-length, metronome-perfect song there is some disciplined shuffling on stage as dedicated servants bring out new, different instruments for The Great Musicians Of The Backing Band, and seem to retire quickly, backwards and bowing. The new instruments seem to make identical noises to the old ones, oddly. Occasionally a song starts with a promisingly tense riff from somebody, and then within a minute settles back into the moderately depressing, monochordic dirge overlayed with Krauss-notes, which seems to be the standard output. Every single song was just so slow. There is a complete lack of either empathy or energy coming from the stage -- nothing at all. People are playing, but there is somehow no performance.

And the drummer wore a suit and tie.

Maybe it's me -- perhaps the part of my brain that processes this kind of stuff has withered. I'm not a particular fan of the Eagles, but given the opportunity I would have cleared the stage in a flash and brought on the Alter Eagles, because they provide, consistently, whatever was lacking.

Or maybe it's that a generation brought up on digital music is fundamentally less demanding.

Or maybe it's that a generation brought up on digital music is fundamentally less demanding.

Great night out by the sound of it :)

According to some article I read in the Grauniad a while back, some people in the etnertainment biz think this sort of quality event is the future of live music and yer small venues will close down, however so far as I can tell the digital generation are jumping around on sticky carpets getting beer poured down their necks still, as it ever was. They probably wouldn't have enjoyed the Plant Krauss thing.

I like the record, they actually sing rather well together and I'm a sucker for a good harmony, but its a bit murky sounding, and what's with all that swampy bass thing?

PS. Loved the Alter Eagles. Saw a pic of the real Eagles at their recent show - and they were all wearing suits and ties, apparently it was utterly perfect and utterly soulless according to one who was there ... the future of live music, see ;)

Indeed -- you make some good points.

I suppose what I meant was that if one's musical diet consisted solely of downloaded mp3s, actually hearing somebody sing or play an instrument in the same enclosed space must be, in and of itself, mind-blowing -- irrespective of whether it worked from a 'performance' point or view. This makes an audience composed of these victims extremely easy to impress.

The digital generation were all there last night -- applause was sometimes a bit muted because so many people appeared to be waving their cellphones around, and kept getting distracted by the number of urgent texts that they seemed to need to send and receive. I freely admit that I find this utterly baffling.

The digital generation were all there last night -- applause was sometimes a bit muted because so many people appeared to be waving their cellphones around, and kept getting distracted by the number of urgent texts that they seemed to need to send and receive. I freely admit that I find this utterly baffling.

Yup its almost as if a live experience can't be comprehended unless channelled through some additional electronic media. Not the same as but similar to some Japanese tourists we saw in the Louvre, none of them actually seemed to be looking at the Mona Lisa ... they were all videoing it though.

I think you have an excellent hypothesis there.

Let's get Petrik to right it up for a medical journal. :D

I like the album. It has got great songs on it and the pair's harmony vocals are cool.

I even like the swampy production.

I've played Raising Sand probably more than any other CD in the last couple of months. It has a pretty timeless sound.

Wish I'd seen them live.

Jack

I like Robert Plant's work, quite a lot. I can even enjoy - if in small doses - Ms. Krauss.

But this farrago just leaves me cold. Sorry.

I like the album. It has got great songs on it and the pair's harmony vocals are cool.

I even like the swampy production.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I really like it and it gets a regular spin - the harmonies would make up for pretty much anything I reckon ... but I can't say I dig the big wobbly bottom end - Not Miss Krauss's nor Plant's, neither of which would appear to be big or wobbly from the picture oin the sleeve.

advertisement

Back