advertisement

Robbie Robertson - Once were Brothers

But will we ever know whose "recollections" are accurate or is there more support and confirmation for one or the others memories?

Personally I just like to read about the history and listen to the glorious sounds they made and forget the squabble. I do tend to listen to Levon's solo stuff more than Robbie's though.

But will we ever know whose "recollections" are accurate or is there more support and confirmation for one or the others memories?

Personally I just like to read about the history and listen to the glorious sounds they made and forget the squabble. I do tend to listen to Levon's solo stuff more than Robbie's though.
From what I’ve read Robbie was the one with commercial and organisational nous and the others were a bit negligent in this respect; naturally he looked after his interests and they let him get away with it. Levon especially seemed very bitter and took every opportunity to take a swipe at him later. As I understand it it was more Levon’s band in the early days.
I’ve no idea where the truth lies, but one thing that’s not often brought out is the immense contribution to their music that the quiet one, Garth, made.

Testimony - RR's autobiography of his life upto the demise of The Band is a fabulous read (and the basis of the film), and actually reads like "Somewhere Down The Crazy River" . (Maybe less great if you side more with Levon).

The book is effusive in praise for all the other members of The Band, including Levon, but does give a couple of glimpses into Levon's character as someone who is all or nothing. If you aren't 100% behind him you are 100% against him.

I still haven't seen this film yet.

Where was Garth?
Well he was always the least visible one ;-)
Not a bad program all in all, though obviously mostly Robbie’s view. I did think he laboured the brotherhood thing a bit, possibly in order to pacify the pro-Levon school, but no doubt he put the time and effort into their projects. The McCartney of The Band.

In that case I don't think they had a Lennon...for all the possibility that he claimed more than he deserved I don't think the other members were anywhere near him as writers.

Well, Robertson was responsible for Neil Diamond’s presence at The Last Waltz, a significant blot on an otherwise fairly impeccable copybook.

The songwriter always claims the spoils, similar strife with Cream for example. Singers & musicians often make the record work but end up relatively broke.

Good doc, not sure of truth but made me want to buy a couple of albums I don’t have.
That and watch the last waltz again.
Remember the fuss over whiter shade of pale, god knows who wrote it.

Thoroughly enjoyed the doc as I didn't know much about The Band's history, especially their early involvement with Dylan. RR is a gifted storyteller and came across as a pretty reasonable bloke. Ronnie Hawkins' contributions had me in stitches!

Good doc, not sure of truth but made me want to buy a couple of albums I don’t have.
That and watch the last waltz again.
Remember the fuss over whiter shade of pale, god knows who wrote it.
Bach or one of them classified fellas wasn’t it?

advertisement

Back