advertisement

Ripping SACD

Chris Marshall

pfm Member
Hi

Not sure how much news this is but if any of you have any SACDs that you'd like to rip, it has recently got easier and much cheaper to source something to do it.

It's been made to work really easily on some fairly recent and widely available Sony and Pioneer Blu ray players (I bought a Sony one this week one Ebay for £27, the price of a couple of DSD downloads).

You now only need a simple script to run on a USB stick and a simple program (with a GUI), much less messing around than previous methods and you don't need to go near the command line.

I received my player on Wednesday, set it all up and had ripped (archived for my personal back-up :)) 4 SACDs in under 30 minutes.

It's mentioned in a giant thread on Computer Audiophile but quite hard to follow, there is a much simpler one over on HiFi Haven.

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/

I just need a supply of SACDs with music I like now that aren't mental prices!

cheers

Chris

I picked up a Pioneer BDP-160 sometime last year to do the very same. Can’t remember the price I paid, but it certainly wasn’t as cheap as yours! All in all it’s a pretty straightforward process. Apparently the Oppo BDP-103 & BDP-105 are also capable of ripping SACDs but they’re currently fetching silly prices.

Edit: Paid £75 for the Pio back in October 2017

Last edited:
I’ve been using a Sony player to rip about 200 SACDs this year. I can now stream the DSD files with Roon and it’s really good.

Quite a lot to offload and mainly Classical, I’ll have to make a list to see if anyone wants them.

Many thanks for posting this. I’ve ordered a compatible player, and if the process works it will have cost me less than a pound per SACD.

I did this last year with an Oppo 103. About 300 classical SACDs, but note that the .dsd files take up a lot more space than hires FLACs.

If you sell the discs afterwards but keep the files you are basically committing piracy!

I did this last year with an Oppo 103. About 300 classical SACDs, but note that the .dsd files take up a lot more space than hires FLACs.

If you sell the discs afterwards but keep the files you are basically committing piracy!
Selling the discs is a bad move. At some point the hard drive will fail, there'll be an insoluble software issue etc. Always keep the discs as the ultimate back up, should you need to rip them again.

Is there a list of blu-ray players that can do the ripping and are readily available in the UK? And is the task genuinely within reach of people like me who are not that good on computers?

The following players are suitable:

Oppo BDP-103
Oppo BDP-103D
Oppo BDP-105
OPPO BDP-105D
Cambridge Audio 752bd
Cambridge Audio 752cxu
Pioneer bdp-lx58
Pioneer bdp-lx88
Pioneer BDP-160
Pioneer BDP-170
Sony S590

As long as you can connect your player to your network (preferably with a wired connection) you can rip SACDs to your computer no problem.

There are a few additional Sony ones to add to that list, which are cheap and available in the UK.

BDP-S390 (also sold as BX39 in some markets)
BDP-S490
BDP-S4100
BDP-S5100 (also sold as BX510 in some markets

Many thanks for posting this Chris. As long as you follow the instructions it works a treat, and I've ripped my meagre collection of SACDs using an old Oppo 103D we use in the kitchen. I'm still discovering the odd one or two dual-layer ones amongst my CD collection.

advertisement

Back