advertisement

RIP Tony Oxley

The pioneering drummer Tony Oxley passed away on Boxing Day aged 85.

Sad to say I only saw him play once - in a group with Cecil Taylor, Anthony Braxton and William Parker. An extraordinary concert that left a lasting impression.

RIP. I have some fabulous records by him, but I think the only time I saw him play live he was by far the best thing at John Zorn's uncharacteristically bogus 50th birthday party at the Barbican.

Sad to say I only saw him play once - in a group with Cecil Taylor, Anthony Braxton and William Parker. An extraordinary concert that left a lasting impression.
RIP. That must have been an incredible concert.

Same here - was that this show at the RFH that cleared half the crowd in the first 5 minutes and was then sublime?

I had for some reason had forgotten William Parker made up the quartet...

RIP

RIP

I never tire of listening to TO in almost any context. I’m such a fanboy one of his Incus LPs is the only signed LP I have in my entire collection.

(Martin Archer at Discus and Mark Wastell at Confront have released archive and new material in recent years. February Papers is essential IMO, and the Discus CD sounds superb).

@kjb yep. And Ornette played the following night!

Trying to remember which Ornette gig this one was Paul. Was it the one with the Master Musicians of Jajouka, and Charlie Haden coming on to play Lonely Woman at the end?

I hadn't realised that Tony Oxley played at that Cecil Taylor/Braxton gig!

Trying to remember which Ornette gig this one was Paul. Was it the one with the Master Musicians of Jajouka, and Charlie Haden coming on to play Lonely Woman at the end?
Hmm. Even with my shocking memory I hope I would have remembered that. It was a three bass player line-up with Denardo on drums.

This is very sad news. Such a great innovative player. I saw him a few times in the 70’s with Paul Rutherford, Kenny Wheler and others. I loved his playing, but he could certainly split an audience. A couple of my drummer friends hated his playing. Must give Four Compositions for Sextet a spin later.

advertisement

Back