advertisement

RIP Ron Hill.

Weekender

pfm Member
Ron Hill: Former European and Commonwealth marathon champion dies aged 82 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/57220289
The Accrington-born athlete ran every day from 20 December 1964 to 31 January 2017 - including after snapping his sternum in a car accident in 1993 and for six weeks in a plaster cast after an operation on his foot.
His winning time at the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh in 1970 made him only the second man to break 2:10 for the marathon, and he still ranks as the 12th fastest Briton of all time.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/23/ron-hill-former-british-marathon-runner-dies-aged-82

Happy memories from my youth following the likes of Hill,Bedford and Foster etc..happy days
A gentler more relaxed time enjoying others achievements and appreciating them for what they were :)

A great talent and most of my friends indulged themselves in his high quality running and hiking gear - RIP Ron

He was an inspiration to many club athletes, myself included, into the joy of running. F**ked up my knees in later life, too much pounding the roads in my youth.
Never could bring myself to the string vest look but it worked for him and many others.
Even in later life he ran at least a mile a day, somewhere I read he never missed a day in 52 years.
RIP Dr Hill

He was an inspiration to many club athletes, myself included, into the joy of running. F**ked up my knees in later life, too much pounding the roads in my youth.
Never could bring myself to the string vest look but it worked for him and many others.
Even in later life he ran at least a mile a day, somewhere I read he never missed a day in 52 years.
RIP Dr Hill
You may have read that in the first post of this thread!

Numerous Ron Hill items here, amazing achievements including his run streak and marathon times. There was a great article on him in Runners World last year sometime. I think it was Alzheimer’s that got him. RIP.

I've worn his tracksters for years, but never really knew much about the man behind them. Reading his obituary it reads like a life very well lived.

Remember Norris Mcwhirter Commentating on the 2 Ron s, Hill and Clarke. What an era of long distant running,Kip Kieno as well.
Edit, or was it Ross Mcwhirter ( his brother ) ?. RIP

advertisement

Back