advertisement

RIP Peter Brotzmann

Oh f*ck. Terrible news. I must admit a lot of my feeling is selfish because I really want to see him play again. Every time I've heard him he's been playing at the highest intensity, and bringing that out of everyone else around him. I missed the last Cafe Oto gig but all reports said it was blistering - I was gutted to have missed that and even more so now I won't be hearing him again. What a spirit of truth and fire he was/is.

Sad news, I had no idea he was so old to be honest, I assumed he was the generation beneath from his musical approach. RIP.

Just saw on twitter - an uncompromising titan on tenor. I'll be playing 'Machine Gun' loud once I have house to myself ;)

Oh f*ck. Terrible news. I must admit a lot of my feeling is selfish because I really want to see him play again. Every time I've heard him he's been playing at the highest intensity, and bringing that out of everyone else around him. I missed the last Cafe Oto gig but all reports said it was blistering - I was gutted to have missed that and even more so now I won't be hearing him again. What a spirit of truth and fire he was/is.

For some reason I only ever saw him play once, in Berlin just over a decade ago. It was awe-inspiring.

The last time I saw Peter was at the 2017 Mulhouse Météo Festival, with Toshinori Kondo and Heather Leigh - one of the gigs that really sticks in your mind! He seemed indefatigable - I thought he would go on forever ...

Just came across this, my new favourite photo. It's himself driving.

52996694236_4af5e9da11_z.jpg

https://twitter.com/cjherbert/status/1672149837511311361?s=20

The last time I saw Peter was at the 2017 Mulhouse Météo Festival, with Toshinori Kondo and Heather Leigh - one of the gigs that really sticks in your mind! He seemed indefatigable - I thought he would go on forever ...
I last saw him with Steve Noble and Keith Tippett at Cafe Oto in the last days of my living in that London. An astounding gig. Always thought I would hear him perform again. An amazing musician with a truly formidable catalogue of recordings. RIP.

advertisement

Back