advertisement

RIP Mel Smith

There's a great quote from Mel in today's newspaper, when asked a few years how he thought of himself:
“Slim. Terribly good looking, with a 10-inch penis.”

An extremely funny fella, RIP.

The Swedish Cemist Shop sketch. My favourite joke ever. I am still incapable of saying 'deodorant' without using their Sveedish accent.

Mel Smith was a great comedian and did some incredible performances.

He had problems during his life, according to the newspapers. These varied from being hooked on sleeping pills to taking a massive overdose of pain-killers.

Mel's health had been failing for a while and as time went on he wanted less and less people to visit him.

What a sad end to the life of a very funny man.

Jack

I couldn't have said it better. NTNON was fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comedy wise he really wasn't my cup of tea - same for his partner in crime Griff Rhys Jones.

But 60 is WAY too young!! :(

A huge wrench. Mel Smith has been well and widely recognised, but IMHO never adequately. Taking into account the full body of work, I'd put him up there with Tony Hancock, Kenneth Horne, etc., but his general bearing and attitude to acclaim made him less than media-friendly in his own right (as opposed to the increasingly irritating Stephen Fry). It's sad that genius seems so often flawed.

Lots of good stuff quoted / linked to above. But "Colin's Sandwich" was one of the finest things ever on TV. Lots on YouTube -- luckily, as most seem never to have heard of it.

advertisement

Back