advertisement

RIP Captain Tom

I thought it was defined as bourgeois, plants indoors and furniture in the garden.
It rather depends. If the plants indoors are cannabis plants under growlights and the furniture is the sofa, perhaps not. If the plants are potted olives and citrus and the furniture solid teak, then you'd be right. For my part, I've got outdoor furniture that I made from dismantled pallets and a never ending crop of aloes, cacti and Clyvias that grow like weeds, so I'm somewhere in between.

It rather depends. If the plants indoors are cannabis plants under growlights and the furniture is the sofa, perhaps not. If the plants are potted olives and citrus and the furniture solid teak, then you'd be right. For my part, I've got outdoor furniture that I made from dismantled pallets and a never ending crop of aloes, cacti and Clyvias that grow like weeds, so I'm somewhere in between.
Sounds like you are chic squat from the pages of Nova magazine circa 1974.

I rather like it, I must say. Some of it needs a bit of "un-decorating" and it's definitely missing a hot tub but other than that, it's a thumbs-up from me!

If nothing else it has a lot of hi-fi storage space...

I rather like it, I must say. Some of it needs a bit of "un-decorating" and it's definitely missing a hot tub but other than that, it's a thumbs-up from me!

If nothing else it has a lot of hi-fi storage space...
Agreed, a lovely old rectory, interesting building, decor easily changed but good bones there. Also a good price IMO, plenty of more expensive near me that are much smaller.

I agree on Captain Tom's laps being initially just a good idea that took off but seems like his progeny were swinging the lead. No clue on Tom's true nature but apples rarely fall far from the tree.

I agree on Captain Tom's laps being initially just a good idea that took off but seems like his progeny were swinging the lead.
That's my take.
No clue on Tom's true nature but apples rarely fall far from the tree.
I differ, I think that Tom was just doing it because he wanted to, he was 99 after all, with a lovely house in a nice part of the world and a restricted time left to enjoy it. I don't see why he would have embarked on a scam, money was one thing that he didn't need. He had a great house, enough money to enjoy it and restricted means and time to do anything with a sudden influx of the stuff. After all, it's not as if he could go anywhere at the time, even if he were well enough. He could have sat back and said "Ah well, I'm 99, I'll have another nap" but I think he got bored and needed something to do more than anything else.

That's my take.

I differ, I think that Tom was just doing it because he wanted to, he was 99 after all, with a lovely house in a nice part of the world and a restricted time left to enjoy it. I don't see why he would have embarked on a scam, money was one thing that he didn't need. He had a great house, enough money to enjoy it and restricted means and time to do anything with a sudden influx of the stuff. After all, it's not as if he could go anywhere at the time, even if he were well enough. He could have sat back and said "Ah well, I'm 99, I'll have another nap" but I think he got bored and needed something to do more than anything else.
I want to know whose idea it was in the first place. My suspicion is it was the daughter's or if it was the old man's, who instigated the media attention and how? It would be interesting to investigate how the publicity got its initial push. There were people all over the country doing wonderful things but this one captured the hearts of the nation (except for mine, it seems :) ) I'm deeply cynical of this sort of story, maybe it's my background in News. Regardless...knighthood? Really?

I don't think it was a scam as such. More attention-seeking with a mind to possible fringe-benefits. Bit like parents pushing their talented and precocious daughter onto the stage, Mrs Worthington.

That's my take.

I was referring more to their upbringing and sense of morality, what they could get from the situation. We generally learn that behaviour from our parents. I knew someone who used to scam insurers for stuff every so often, a claim for an old camera that he wanted updating by claiming it was stolen on holiday, stuff like that he saw it as his duty, others were doing it, only getting free money from the insurance company etc etc. His kids have the same screw what I can from the system approach to life.

I know there are exceptions, crims coming from respectable families but as Philip Larkin says, "They F*** you up, your mum and dad"

I want to know whose idea it was in the first place. My suspicion is it was the daughter's or if it was the old man's, who instigated the media attention and how? It would be interesting to investigate how the publicity got its initial push. There were people all over the country doing wonderful things but this one captured the hearts of the nation (except for mine, it seems :) ) I'm deeply cynical of this sort of story, maybe it's my background in News. Regardless...knighthood? Really?

I don't think it was a scam as such. More attention-seeking with a mind to possible fringe-benefits. Bit like parents pushing their talented and precocious daughter onto the stage, Mrs Worthington.

The daughter instigated it, she employed a young marketing girl who used her contacts to get the ‘story out there’ then once the media outlets picked up on it the marketeer was unceremoniously dumped.

Their business was going down the pan because of the pandemic, from what I read they had no business sales for six months and they were struggling financially so she got the father to ‘walk’ round his garden for the ‘NHS’ think initially he was going to try to raise £1000 by his next birthday and of course the whole thing went viral.

As always with these things the smart thing to do is follow the money.

There‘s no way this was just a simple altruistic act thought up by a 99 year old former army captain.

“Former University of Northampton student Mrs Souster said she was approached by the family to write the press release, which kick-started the Capt Sir Tom story, before sending it to her list of media contacts.
She also claims to have set up the JustGiving page and managed Capt Sir Tom's account on X, formerly known as Twitter.
However, in June 2020, her services for the Ingram-Moores came to a sudden halt.
"Initially the family were extremely supportive of me and thankful for all that I had done, but for reasons unknown to me, they changed," she wrote on LinkedIn.
A spokesperson for Haymarket PR, the publisher of PRWeek, told the BBC: "In 2020, Hannah Ingram-Moore stated to PRWeek that The Captain Tom Family and its representatives do not give permission for anyone to enter Captain Sir Tom to the PRWeek Awards.
"Consequently, any submissions entered for Capt Sir Tom were removed."
It was after this that Mrs Souster said she "severed ties with the family".
Mrs Souster, who had been entered into five awards with the public relations trade magazine PRWeek, said that "a week later I was told by Hannah Ingram-Moore [Capt Sir Tom's daughter] that I had no right to talk about my work/involvement with the PR".

Registration of the “Captain Tom” trademark​

Only weeks before setting up the Foundation (which was formed as a charitable company on 5 May 2020 and then registered as a charity a month later on 5 June 2020), on 24 April 2020, Hannah and Colin set up a family company called Club Nook Limited.

On 18 May 2020 the company applied to register “Captain Tom” as a trademark in a number of classes. The company subsequently applied to register several variations of the trademark. The Charity Commission has cited “a failure to consider intellectual property and trade mark issues when the charity was established” as a key concern in its announcement of the Statutory Inquiry into the Foundation. The question here is whether the charity trustees should have objected to the registration of the brand in order to protect the Foundation.

Again, there is a question to be considered by the Commission as to the extent to which the family might have obtained private benefits from its ownership of the brand, given the high-profile nature of the charity and the strong association of the brand with ‘charity’ in the public mind. However, it has been reported that Stephen Jones, chair of trustees at the Foundation, said that the Charity Commission was informed about the ownership of the trademarks when the charity was set up. If so, it might be difficult for the Charity Commission at this stage to criticise the charity trustees for failing to consider these issues at the time.

This latest incident, however, has identified new ‘red flag’ issues including arrangements between the Foundation and a company linked to the Ingram-Moore family, ongoing anxiety surrounding the trustees’ decision-making processes and governance. In particular, the Commission is concerned that a private company controlled by Hannah and Colin Ingram-Moore applied to trademark variations of the name ‘Captain Tom’ and might have used those trademarks to generate significant profit for the company. That the Foundation failed to challenge this raises questions as to the management of conflicts, trustee benefits, and whether its trustees have acted in the best interests of the charity.

The daughter instigated it, she employed a young marketing girl who used her contacts to get the ‘story out there’ then once the media outlets picked up on it the marketeer was unceremoniously dumped.

Their business was going down the pan because of the pandemic, from what I read they had no business sales for six months and they were struggling financially so she got the father to ‘walk’ round his garden for the ‘NHS’ think initially he was going to try to raise £1000 by his next birthday and of course the whole thing went viral.

As always with these things the smart thing to do is follow the money.

There‘s no way this was just a simple altruistic act thought up by a 99 year old former army captain.

“Former University of Northampton student Mrs Souster said she was approached by the family to write the press release, which kick-started the Capt Sir Tom story, before sending it to her list of media contacts.
She also claims to have set up the JustGiving page and managed Capt Sir Tom's account on X, formerly known as Twitter.
However, in June 2020, her services for the Ingram-Moores came to a sudden halt.
"Initially the family were extremely supportive of me and thankful for all that I had done, but for reasons unknown to me, they changed," she wrote on LinkedIn.
A spokesperson for Haymarket PR, the publisher of PRWeek, told the BBC: "In 2020, Hannah Ingram-Moore stated to PRWeek that The Captain Tom Family and its representatives do not give permission for anyone to enter Captain Sir Tom to the PRWeek Awards.
"Consequently, any submissions entered for Capt Sir Tom were removed."
It was after this that Mrs Souster said she "severed ties with the family".
Mrs Souster, who had been entered into five awards with the public relations trade magazine PRWeek, said that "a week later I was told by Hannah Ingram-Moore [Capt Sir Tom's daughter] that I had no right to talk about my work/involvement with the PR".

Registration of the “Captain Tom” trademark​

Only weeks before setting up the Foundation (which was formed as a charitable company on 5 May 2020 and then registered as a charity a month later on 5 June 2020), on 24 April 2020, Hannah and Colin set up a family company called Club Nook Limited.

On 18 May 2020 the company applied to register “Captain Tom” as a trademark in a number of classes. The company subsequently applied to register several variations of the trademark. The Charity Commission has cited “a failure to consider intellectual property and trade mark issues when the charity was established” as a key concern in its announcement of the Statutory Inquiry into the Foundation. The question here is whether the charity trustees should have objected to the registration of the brand in order to protect the Foundation.

Again, there is a question to be considered by the Commission as to the extent to which the family might have obtained private benefits from its ownership of the brand, given the high-profile nature of the charity and the strong association of the brand with ‘charity’ in the public mind. However, it has been reported that Stephen Jones, chair of trustees at the Foundation, said that the Charity Commission was informed about the ownership of the trademarks when the charity was set up. If so, it might be difficult for the Charity Commission at this stage to criticise the charity trustees for failing to consider these issues at the time.

This latest incident, however, has identified new ‘red flag’ issues including arrangements between the Foundation and a company linked to the Ingram-Moore family, ongoing anxiety surrounding the trustees’ decision-making processes and governance. In particular, the Commission is concerned that a private company controlled by Hannah and Colin Ingram-Moore applied to trademark variations of the name ‘Captain Tom’ and might have used those trademarks to generate significant profit for the company. That the Foundation failed to challenge this raises questions as to the management of conflicts, trustee benefits, and whether its trustees have acted in the best interests of the charity.

Just Wow!

This will make a good movie one day. Once the populace has got to grips with having been played*

*Brits do seem vulnerable in this respect with their absurd press and deferential mindset.

This will make a good movie one day. Once the populace has got to grips with having been played*

*Brits do seem vulnerable in this respect with their absurd press and deferential mindset.

I find it amazing though, I mean who thinks, ‘y’know what I think I’ll walk round my garden to get fit and I’ll ask people to sponsor me and I’ll give the cash to the NHS and I’ll also trademark my name ‘just in case’, Oh and I think we should also set up a ‘charitable company’ while we’re at I mean I know the target is only £10000 but you never know? In fact let’s do that immediately!

advertisement

Back