advertisement

Rick Buckler-Good Drummer?

jimi

pfm Member
Just been watching From The Jam live dvd as going to see them in Gods city next month, a very tight show with the drumming being especially tight as it always was.

Just wondered how he is rated as a drummer as he makes the job look easy...

Hi

I heard he quit the band due to Bruce Foxton doing some work with the old boss Paul Weller ? In fact we had tickets to see them in Frome recently ( 08/10/09 ) and the gig was cancelled, so first things first best check it's still on.

Buckler's drumming was always as tight as a gnats chuff. But I'd rather watch paint dry than go and see From the bloody Jam. Just saying like.

Buckler's drumming was always as tight as a gnats chuff. But I'd rather watch paint dry than go and see From the bloody Jam. Just saying like.

Have you seen them, I went with some mates who saw them in the 70s who told me that "this is better than The Jam".

Anyway back to the original question.

So the Jam without Weller is better than The Jam? That is amazing. I will buy tickets immediately.

Buy some tickets I was amazed at how good they were when I last saw them the sound is spot on, seen Weller sing loads of Jam songs and always seems to be a bit lacklustre.

Do not underestimate how good this tribute band are.

Do not underestimate how good this tribute band are.

That's all it is a "tribute band" so who cares what the drummers like ?

I've seen The Jam, Paul Weller and From the Jam and the original pissed all over the latter, it's like seeing The Doors without Jim Morrison ! Basically just a shadow of the former glory and more importantly a shadow of it's essence which is why Paul Weller won't do a backward step and reform The Jam.

Egger that's nasty - what am I gonna do with my From The Jam tickets now? Some people...

Have you seen them, I went with some mates who saw them in the 70s who told me that "this is better than The Jam

How can it be better than The Jam if it ain't The Jam ?? I've seen both and when I saw from the jam they had a singer doing his best to be Paul Weller but the end of the day he wasn't Paul Weller ! Let's face facts if it ain't the original it ain't the real deal, end of !!

Egger that's nasty - what am I gonna do with my From The Jam tickets now? Some people...

Raffle them !

seriously.. it's a good night out but thats all it is ! If a 3 piece band is without it's original members then is it really worth comparing it to the original ? My answer is no it's not and Rick Buckler certainly ain't no Kieth Moon and never has been and I love The jam.

Hi,

Saw The Jam 9 times(plus loads of sound checks), seen From The Jam 3 times. No they aren't The Jam, but they are bloody good. Last year at Newcastle O2 I would say that they put on a performance as good as some of The Jam concert I saw. I spoke to mates after who saw The Jam more than me and we all agreed that it was an excellent performance, the vocals were better than some of Wellers performances. Maybe not quite the energy, but very very good. Egger, I respect your opinion, but they do a really tight energetic set that is as good as many The Jam performances I ever saw. If you are a fan then I really cannot understand why you would want to sell your tickets. The only time I truanted school was to buy The Jam singles on the day of release, my number one band ever.
If you have tickets go and see them. I'll be back in December, at the front giving it everything!!!!

Cheers

Graham

Hi,

Saw The Jam 9 times(plus loads of sound checks), seen From The Jam 3 times. No they aren't The Jam, but they are bloody good. Last year at Newcastle O2 I would say that they put on a performance as good as some of The Jam concert I saw. I spoke to mates after who saw The Jam more than me and we all agreed that it was an excellent performance, the vocals were better than some of Wellers performances. Maybe not quite the energy, but very very good. Egger, I respect your opinion, but they do a really tight energetic set that is as good as many The Jam performances I ever saw. If you are a fan then I really cannot understand why you would want to sell your tickets. The only time I truanted school was to buy The Jam singles on the day of release, my number one band ever.
If you have tickets go and see them. I'll be back in December, at the front giving it everything!!!!

Cheers

Graham

Hi Graham

I too respect your opinion and The Jam played the sound track of my life so I really do love them, all I was saying was that they aren't The Jam but they do run very close to the original band ( being that they were all bar one member ) but they can't be better than the original. That aside Rick Buckler has quit ( Check the link )so it's only 1 original member now and might as well be called Bruce Foxton plays The Jam.

Don't get me wrong as I had a great night watching them hence why we bought more tickets but it left me thinking how much better it would have been to see Weller at the front again !

http://www.fromthejam.co.uk/latest.php?action=fullnews&id=351

I used to love The Jam at the time, but that was a long time ago and they were relevant to the times in which they existed. At least Paul Weller, who's music I'm not fond of, has enough sense and drive to look forward while he still has something to offer.

I just don't understand these tribute bands personally, although I understand they are just having a good time and that's fine and there's nothing wrong with that - it is what it is, but when a backing group get together like this to try and hang onto something long gone, that wasn't even their baby really, well... I think it's a little sad. It was only really a Paul Weller thing anyway so this makes them look a bit desperate, and is a public display that have nothing to offer musically.

Paul Thompson, drummer with Roxy Music, went on to join other bands. Richard Barbari from Japan plays with Porcupine Tree. Bowie goes and plays in low-fi small band Tin Machine. There is no shame in going back to start over if the music is the most important thing, when past ego and glory can be set aside - if you are a true musician being true to the art. If they were true musicians they would move on and not do this, but they're clearly not 'artists' though, are they. That's what they are saying. They are saying that they all they can do is 'put on a show' of Jam music. That's not music in the artistic sense.

I used to love The Jam at the time, but that was a long time ago and they were relevant to the times in which they existed. At least Paul Weller, who's music I'm not fond of, has enough sense and drive to look forward while he still has something to offer.

I just don't understand these tribute bands personally, although I understand they are just having a good time and that's fine and there's nothing wrong with that - it is what it is, but when a backing group get together like this to try and hang onto something long gone, that wasn't even their baby really, well... I think it's a little sad. It was only really a Paul Weller thing anyway so this makes them look a bit desperate, and is a public display that have nothing to offer musically.

Paul Thompson, drummer with Roxy Music, went on to join other bands. Richard Barbari from Japan plays with Porcupine Tree. Bowie goes and plays in low-fi small band Tin Machine. There is no shame in going back to start over if the music is the most important thing, when past ego and glory can be set aside - if you are a true musician being true to the art. If they were true musicians they would move on and not do this, but they're clearly not 'artists' though, are they. That's what they are saying. They are saying that they all they can do is 'put on a show' of Jam music. That's not music in the artistic sense.

Spot on and Amen !

If they were true musicians they would move on and not do this, but they're clearly not 'artists' though, are they. That's what they are saying. They are saying that they all they can do is 'put on a show' of Jam music. That's not music in the artistic sense.

The problem with The Jam is that it was Paul Weller. When Weller decided he wanted to move on the other two were shocked and horrified. Bruce and Rick were basically just session musicians playing with Weller and taking a ride on his creativity.

rick B must reallly hate paul W!

i too saw The Jam a few times and would happily go and see from the Jam. The singer Russell I think hails from my hometown. i remember seeing him in a very good local band nearly 30 years ago called IIRC Paralysis. I think they were doing DIATSAM even then

advertisement

Back