advertisement

Richard Thompson - guitar playing

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
I was playing Norma Waterson's first solo record last night and was struck by how beautiful Thompson's playing was, particularly the solo, on Black Muddy River. I've got quite a few Thompson records - 'Bright Lights', 'Pour Down Like Silver', 'Guitar/Vocal' - which are very fine but I tend to prefer his guitar playing on other people's records. A particular fave is his playing on Maria McKee's first solo record - the solo that plays out ' Am I The Only One To Ever Feel This Way' is quite wonderful.

Any recommendations on other places where Thompson's guitar playing can be found, and are there any of his own records where his playing rather than songwriting really shines.

Kevin

What about his 2004 album 'The Old Kit Bag'? It's an excellent and beautifully recorded album, IMO. Lots of genuinely good guitar-work throughout, I reckon.

His playing on the soundtrack to Wener Herzog's film Grizzly Man is quite special and there is an interesting extra on the making of the soundtrack on the DVD.

Another soundtrack of his with nice playing is Sweet Talker.

For something really unusual you can try the Bones of All Men and it's interesting take on renaissance music

There's some lovely keening (I love that adjective) slide lead/solo on Drunk with Passion by The Golden Palominos, on the track "The Haunting." I think he's on the rest of the album too.

Check out Teddy Thompsons 'Teddy Thompson' and 'Separate Ways'. Both good in their own right and both have some nice RT guitar too.

Teddy Thompson's albums are more than just good in my reckoning; "Separate Ways" is probably my favourite album of the past year.

advertisement

Back