advertisement

Rich sounding speaker suggestions

And765

Hi there
i am after speakers, either small floorstander or bookshelf’s with good bottom extension that will provide a conbinarion of:
  • A rich sounding midrange
  • tight fast bass, doesn’t have to go too deep
  • tweeter not edgy or excessively bright. I can live with a bit of brightness if the tweeter isn’t edgy.
  • I prefer to avoid a lumpy upper bass, which is what a lot of speakers seem to do these days, particularly bookshelves
  • and I prefer not to have a recessed midrange.
  • also need to sound good at low volumes, which is a concern for a sealed box design.
i have narrowed it down to the following, but for various reasons I can’t demo these.

kudos c20
neat orkestra or majistra
spendor d7.2
i don’t mind other recommendations provided they are fairly known brands.

my room is 4.3mx10m, but the system is long wall to long wall, and part of the lounge end of the room.
my amp is a boulder 866, so carries enough power for all the above.
thankyou

Falcon Q7’s sound like they might fit the bill for bookshelf’s. Not 100% sure about the low level playing though but on every other count, they’re a yes!

The Spendor fit most of your requirements, they have superb controlled bass, and won’t jangle your nerves. Not sure the midrange will do the trick though. Tough to chose without audition!
Maybe consider Audionote speakers as well.

Looking at your list of loudspeaker priorities, I feel you might really enjoy a quality single-driver speaker.

The best (almost) full-range single-driver speakers tend to be fairly relaxed in the extreme tops, with no really deep extended bass, but all that is in-between is pure sonic magic!

You could start with the time-honoured OMEGA brand, as there are plenty of models to suit.

There are others.

One of the best speakers I’ve heard for low volume was the Opera Secunda, the earlier sealed bass version. It needs a bit of power to go loud, a Rega Maia let the bass go all flabby when the wick was turned up but it was sweet at the sort of volume my wife likes. Not the most transparent or exactly small and getting quite old now but don’t assume a sealed box won’t work at low volume. I tend to think the opposite might be the case if you’re free to place them optimally.

Must agree with others here that the Spendor fit your needs the best and long term, they are ear friendly (no harshness of any kind) so really can’t go wrong with it.

Various models from various ranges from Sonus Faber should be suitable for your requirements, if you'd prefer a new speaker there's a great trade in promotion currently being offered from SF.

Yep, Spendor and Tannoy here (SP100R2 & Canterbury's). For your stipulation above I'd recommend the Spendor.

Revel F206 or F226be
I have a pair of F208s in a room with similar dimensions. They sound great but are big speakers and rather dominate the room. The smaller models would be well worth a listen

I prefer to avoid a lumpy upper bass, which is what a lot of speakers seem to do these days, particularly bookshelves

Assuming the lumpy upper bass is not a main character of the speakers and placement of speakers in the room is not an issue, in my recent experience a lumpy upper bass can be addressed or eliminated and the rest of the criteria as mentioned above achieved by employing any of the following in no particular order of importance/preference:-

- isolation for loudspeakers
- proper equipment support for components
- appropriate use of cables particularly mains power cables and interconnects

advertisement

Back