advertisement

Revisiting the Zeta

I also mounted an audiomods on an LP12 and it sounded really good...

Yes, I forgot about the picture; I will get around to it! Mines got to go back on the bench at some point, because I think that there's a break in the ground cable somewhere, as I'm getting all sorts of noises as you move the arm. The Audiomods has ceramic bearings, so there's no continuity unless you ground the arm tube separately.

Years ago, my Zeta suffered a well known problem....the bearing lubricants tended to dry up and cause the arm to stick or mistrack. I sent it back to the US importers (RCS) who fixed it and reset the bearings gratis. They also suggested an unofficial tweak-put a bead of Blu-Tak behind the inner weight and squash it down-it tends to set and not only reduces the tendencies for internal rattling but also adds fractionally to the effective mass. I tried this and was greeted with a cleaner and more authoritative performance. But the biggest effect I got was using an interface between cartridge and headshell know as the 'Cartridge Tip Toes' made by the Mod Squad. Prior to this my Karma sounded emaciated next to the Koetsu Gold Line. Installing the TipToes changed the Karmas purr to a roar.

Various Roksan arms on a Xerxes, loved the deck, not a fan of the arms.

Completely with you there. Tabrizi was okay, but ultimately ousted by modded RB 250.

Very disappointed in a couple of Xerxes 10's I've heard with the Artemiz.

Syrinx PU 3 works nicely on the original, as do SME's.

The hanging weight is I think a clever idea, but deliberately sloppy bearings not so much.

I've not had a Roksan deck, but had all their arms (except The Pug), I like them. I've currently got 2 301's running side by side, one with Mission Mechanic, the other with Artemiz (J7 silver rewire). I think there's more in common due to the rigid yoke design. Very 'fast' bass with no sloppy decay, I couldn't say which I prefer :D

I know that my Zeta is considered medium to high mass as tonearm. I bought mine new back in the latter 1980's, and love it. Mine is problem free and is the Vdh silver litz wired arm. I was wondering if anyone has been able to use MM cartridges successfully on the Zeta arm, I realize the resonant frequency issues or calculations are not ideal in this match, for example I wanted to try a Shure MM cartridge, some Grados, and other high compliant MM cartridges with my Zeta on VPI HW19 Mk.IV Table. Has anyone tried this? Or had any success using any of the MM cartridges I mention above with a Zeta Tonearm? I appreciate any feedback!! Thank You in advance!! Ray!!

There is a whole range of compliance in the MM world, I’d avoid those at the higher end e.g. the Ortofon 2M Black, the fancier ATs etc. I suspect you’d find Nagaoka a very good match. The Shure M97XE should be fine with its damper down too. IIRC the Zeta is about 13-14g effective mass, so work from there with the mass calculation. Given the VPI is not a suspended turntable (at least I don’t think it is) your life is a bit easier as you are just trying to avoid warp frequencies, not the suspension. As such you’d likely find it would track high compliance stuff like a V15/III on anything other than a nasty edge-warp, but even so a mid-compliance cart like a Nag would be far happier.

PS Obviously choose the shortest and lightest bolts you can find as anything out at that end of the arm has an impact on the mass.

Yes I did actually try a shure 500 ultra in a zeta and learnt about compliance (?) the hard way. Actually it sounded pretty good -at times- when the arm was not bouncing (sometimes manically ) up and down with the needle still in the groove or skipping. The shure was used without the damper (I lost it as the cartridge sounded dull with it in place on a previous arm and I did not realise what it was for - thought it was some sort of duster ! ) . Bloody good good arm with a sugano k red sig though .

Thanks so much for the replies Tony and loaf!! I really appreciate them!! I recently got a Shure 5 with the damper on it, but haven't attempted it on the Zeta, at least as of yet. I really did want to hear how it sounded on the Zeta, but not if it makes no sense. Oh, and my VPI HW19 MK.IV does have springs, but they are heavy duty springs from the TNT Table, shares TNT platter also, I do have the option of removing the springs, and replacing sorbothane pucks in their places, and I have read positive results from both sides on this, those that use the springs, and those that switched to the pucks.....I have stuck with the factory layout, with the heavy duty springs.....but I will keep in mind some of the MM cartridges that you have mentioned, I did use the AT-OC9 MC with the Zeta and it really sounded like an incredible match, even though it may not have been perfect on paper.....so maybe I'll give the Shure a try....just to see how it goes, with damper down.

Sorry guys, I referred to the cartridge that I picked up as a Shure 5.......but it's not. It's the Shure V 15 one of the latest versions of it, and I'd really like to try it out in my system, the problem is that I have only used 1 Tonearm since my table/arm were new, and that is the Zeta tonearm which I love, and is the arm that I would have to give this Shure V-15 a good listen to on. As stated, not the ideal match compliance-wise but it's all I have. Not sure if anyone else has ever tried one of these Shure V-15 cartridges on their Zeta arms.....the Shure does have the drop down damper brush, so I would surely use that in hopes of better results....?? Thanks, Ray!!

The plinth for your '88' looks very interesting, I vaguely remember seeing something similar, however I just can't recall when or where - my memory is certainly not improving with age.
Is it constructed from slate on a metal frame?

Regards

Mike Kelshaw
Wow Mike!! I have been familiar with Goldring phono cartridges in my past!! But I have never seen a Goldring Turntable in my Life!!! Very Nice, in fact, Beautiful!! I really like it a lot!! Extremely Sharp Piece of Equipment!! Eye Catching to say the least!! I don't think that I have ever seen any Turntable made by Goldring, and this was at a Goldring DEaler here in the United States!! Wish I had seen one, and been able to test it out!! I really like it, the looks of it are Beautiful!! Very Very Nice

Strange to see this thread as I’ve just sold my LP12 fitted with a Zeta and Koetsu Black this weekend. It wasn’t getting used Like it deserved and a friend preferred my Linn to his so I decided to sell it. I’m replacing it with a Rega RP8 which won’t depress me thinking about not using it and having all that money tied up in it.

Wow Mike!! I have been familiar with Goldring phono cartridges in my past!! But I have never seen a Goldring Turntable in my Life!!! Very Nice, in fact, Beautiful!! I really like it a lot!! Extremely Sharp Piece of Equipment!! Eye Catching to say the least!! I don't think that I have ever seen any Turntable made by Goldring, and this was at a Goldring DEaler here in the United States!! Wish I had seen one, and been able to test it out!! I really like it, the looks of it are Beautiful!! Very Very Nice

Ray, I think you may be congratulating the wrong person - the plinth showing the G88 + Zeta belongs to 'Wylton'.
I do have a Goldring deck, but it's a G99, which in fact originally belonged to 'Oldius' and was mounted on a slate plinth, but is currently mounted onto a multi-layer MDF plinth with a Roksan Nima tonearm.

Regards
Mike Kelshaw

My feelings too. I remember attending a three-LP12 dem between Aro, Ekos and Zeta. I didn't really like the Ekos, kind of dry and over-damped for me, I liked the Aro, but it was a bit gutless and not being able to align cartridges properly is just stupidity, and the Zeta was better than both. Like an Aro with real slam and dynamics to my ears. Rather wish I'd kept mine, though it would look very wrong on a 124!

Doesn't looks so bad:

rkohq-MZwFcKDRT2BobLUWZAUO7c5og5g4ecYcibLzPnDr6ZlakQv91u-g2VKHD-HNX0GsbjiGKJRdVw6hRWAh25l-CtlhU-Z5p7qO0uC3XwKayfdqbh-MdBzNhH2OfTJO_Jow

Not ‘bad’ as such, its a nice looking ‘80s arm on a total design classic ‘50s deck, but it doesn’t look as ‘right’ as a period correct Ortofon, Decca or SME.

PS For arms of that period I think the Fidelity Research FR64 or 66 looks more in keeping. I bet the Zeta sounds great though. I really liked mine on my LP12.

I know that my Zeta is considered medium to high mass as tonearm. I bought mine new back in the latter 1980's, and love it. Mine is problem free and is the Vdh silver litz wired arm. I was wondering if anyone has been able to use MM cartridges successfully on the Zeta arm, I realize the resonant frequency issues or calculations are not ideal in this match, for example I wanted to try a Shure MM cartridge, some Grados, and other high compliant MM cartridges with my Zeta on VPI HW19 Mk.IV Table. Has anyone tried this? Or had any success using any of the MM cartridges I mention above with a Zeta Tonearm? I appreciate any feedback!! Thank You in advance!! Ray!!

Decca Gold match made in Heaven

A beautiful looking arm. I have mine on a Lenco 88 with a DV20XL. I just realised, that back in post 101, I said that I'd get a picture up.

I mentioned in that post that I had a ground issue, but I have added a new arm cable since then.
Now that looks surprisingly great..the super black annodised and the pure white goes together very well.
Also the bearing body cites the curves of the Goldring almost perfectly.
Physically a bit seperated, considering they are not period correct, that's one of the most harmomic looking deck combination I've seen in a while.
Very nice ! :)

Now that looks surprisingly great..the super black annodised and the pure white goes together very well.
Also the bearing body cites the curves of the Goldring almost perfectly.
Physically a bit seperated, considering they are not period correct, that's one of the most harmomic looking deck combination I've seen in a while.
Very nice ! :)

Many thanks for your kind words of praise!

advertisement

Back