advertisement

Review integrity

Ella is obviously my number two in the greatest singer ever stakes. Technically she pips him on "vocal acrobatics" but IMHO Frank has even better timing and phrasing and can put the emotion across better.
I actually don't particularly care for scatting & acrobatics, her version of 'These foolish things' on Louis & Ella again is probably the greatest vocal performance I've ever heard

An interesting testimony.

Unfortunately the results in some magazines speak for themselves. HiFi News now gives an award to everything they write about. Literally every product in the magazine gets some sort of 'badge'. And no comparative reviews at all. Completely absurd.

Paul Miller used to be the very best in the business and his blind panel comparative listening tests for HiFi Choice coupled with world class lab testing was imo the best hifi journalism ever produced. Now we just get page after page of glossy advertising material.

I recall Gordon J King in HFN during the Seventies.
To me, he had a good balance between Technical & Subjective in his reviews.

I’m not sure Paul Miller was that good at Hi-Fi News.
He was part of the downward trend of HFN.

I’m surprised I still buy HFN from time to time, but look at the competition...

I actually love The Concert Sinatra.Such a sincere generous voice. Even in his later years his voice had a charged, burnished and baritonal beauty.

The last track - Soliloquy from Carousel is incredible. The whole album sounds quite different from most others he cut, being recorded on a Hollywood sound stage etc.

The last track - Soliloquy from Carousel is incredible. The whole album sounds quite different from most others he cut, being recorded on a Hollywood sound stage etc.
Carousel is one of the great musicals and I have loved Soliloquy since I was young. I have dreamed is lovely as well. I think my Mum used to have a Glen Campbell version of Soliloquy. May be misremembering.

They review and except advertising from the most absurd foo that any publication with integrity would have nothing to do with. Zero integrity IMO. I can also recall several examples of Alchemist amps having total bollox written about them, and an interview with Ian Rankin in which he admitted sometimes writing reviews on equipment he hadn't even removed from the box. I was asked for a bribe to ensure a good review for the Arkless 640P when I first started making them. I told the publication owner where to shove it, natch. I very much doubt I would ever allow a review of any product I may make.

Which magazine was that?

advertisement

Back