advertisement

REVIEW: Epiphany Acoustics 'Atratus III' interconnect

Good day Neil

I don't see myself as a cable sceptic. The first enhanced cable I ever tried an Audioquest Jade on an ancient Marantz receiver sounded different to the cheap as supplied RCAs. So I do hear differences, just don't regard or report them as being the dramatic, life changing event some folks describe their cable experiences as. You know the sort of thing: it was so different the bloke next door could hear it throught the wall and came round to ask about it type of relatings.

They have sat between my Arkless Phono and my AVI Amp. Second day left me thinking have these changed or is it something else. So I've decided to leave them for a few more days then put the NVA Sound Cords back for a day then try the Mark Grants for a day as my auditory memory isn't as good as some folks think theirs is.

Didn't downgrade the SQ particularly or bring an amazing improvement. Perhaps start a wee thread once I've listened to the 3 I have chosen to compare.

Obviously got slightly the wrong take on your position vis-a-vis cables! Your approach to trialling kit seems very much like mine. Be interesting to see what your take is when you've finished with them.

P.S. Forgot to say your take on cables is close to mine. Most I've played around with have made no difference worth noting in the system I was trying them in at the time. A few have and I've been prepared to spend my hard earned on them. Some have but I've decided the difference didn't warrant the investment. Most I've tried we're bought secondhand.

When Jandl100 offered to post his Epiphany Acoustics Atratus III interconnects to anyone wanting to try them, I felt as if it would be rude not to take him up on his generous offer. And also a possible missed opportunity to discover a nice little cost effective upgrade to my system.

I've now been able to compare the following interconnects:
£119 Epiphany Acoustics Atratus III (2m long)
£2 Unbranded cables off ebay (0.5m long)
c£15 Puresonic (0.5m long, got them free with an amp I bought 10 years ago)

Comparing the Epiphany Acoustics against the unbranded cables there was the subtlest difference between them. In the upper frequencies only. So that, for example, cymbals and high hats on some tracks were a tiny bit sweeter and a tiny bit better focused on the Epiphanys. On some tracks I couldn't hear any difference between them.

Comparing the Puresonics to the Epiphanys, I couldn't tell any difference whatsoever. They sounded absolutely identical with my test tracks in my system to my ears.

Music used included: 747s Zampano, REM Up, Red Hot Chilli Peppers Fortune Faded.

The interconnects were tested between my Denon C640 CD player and Pioneer SF700 adjustable active crossover. Rest of system was Korneff 45 clone (above 500hz), Urei 6230 (below 500hz), Bozak Symphonies.

D7K_4935.jpg

When Jandl100 offered to post his Epiphany Acoustics Atratus III interconnects to anyone wanting to try them, I felt as if it would be rude not to take him up on his generous offer. And also a possible missed opportunity to discover a nice little cost effective upgrade to my system.

I've now been able to compare the following interconnects:
£119 Epiphany Acoustics Atratus III (2m long)
£2 Unbranded cables off ebay (0.5m long)
c£15 Puresonic (0.5m long, got them free with an amp I bought 10 years ago)

Comparing the Epiphany Acoustics against the unbranded cables there was the subtlest difference between them. In the upper frequencies only. So that, for example, cymbals and high hats on some tracks were a tiny bit sweeter and a tiny bit better focused on the Epiphanys. On some tracks I couldn't hear any difference between them.

Comparing the Puresonics to the Epiphanys, I couldn't tell any difference whatsoever. They sounded absolutely identical with my test tracks in my system to my ears.

Music used included: 747s Zampano, REM Up, Red Hot Chilli Peppers Fortune Faded.

The interconnects were tested between my Denon C640 CD player and Pioneer SF700 adjustable active crossover. Rest of system was Korneff 45 clone (above 500hz), Urei 6230 (below 500hz), Bozak Symphonies.

Cool thanks for sharing your experiences with the cables.

Good to have a contribution from someone who has put in the work,,,,the result will not surprise everyone reading this thread.
But, as we all know, it won't change a thing; it's that sort of 'debate'.

You're wrong, paskinn, it surprises me.
Note I also have the cables to test, although haven't started yet..

Obviously got slightly the wrong take on your position vis-a-vis cables! Your approach to trialling kit seems very much like mine. Be interesting to see what your take is when you've finished with them.

P.S. Forgot to say your take on cables is close to mine. Most I've played around with have made no difference worth noting in the system I was trying them in at the time. A few have and I've been prepared to spend my hard earned on them. Some have but I've decided the difference didn't warrant the investment. Most I've tried we're bought secondhand.

Sounds encouraging that another soul finds similarly.

I take the view - someone tells me you (the cable) can make a difference, OK show me what you can do for me. I will admit I don't go for the I heard a subtle improvement in the mid range type comments. One persons subtle is nothing to another and maybe a shouting change to yet another

Thats where subjectivism falls down. Unless you are twins with identical kit in an identical home (and power supply) the likelyhood of two folks hearing the same is less than high.

Thats where subjectivism falls down. Unless you are twins with identical kit in an identical home (and power supply) the likelyhood of two folks hearing the same is less than high.

I don't see it as falling down as such. Essentially I take the view that the overwhelming majority of us are trying to improve our systems. In this context I take improve to mean make it sound better to us. As we are essentially making choices that push the system to be better in areas that we value in musical reproduction. This will inevitably be a very broad spectrum of things when taken across the totality of the forum members. As an example at one point I didn't give a damn about soundstaging it was all about getting closer to my perception of the experience I go when at a gig. Wall of sound if you like. The trick is to identify where in that spectrum other members might be in relation to us. If you've ended up with similar kit, or similar impressions of kit you've tried, the greater the possibility that a recommendation by an individual may be a good match for the others system drivers. I can't possibly audition all the kit on the planet so I try and cheat by piggybacking on others experience in order to shortlist what I should try and audition.

Review: Epiphany Acoustics ‘Atratus III’ interconnect cable

Introduction:

It’s over two years (doesn’t time fly) since I wrote about the newly introduced Epiphany Acoustics Atratus interconnect. My findings were that the Atratus was an audio bargain and compared very favourably to cables costing significantly more; as such it took up residence in my system connecting my phonostage to my pre-amp and has remained there ever since. However, the Atratus is no longer the only cable and there have now been two more added to the Epiphany Acoustics interconnect range; the Atratus II and Atratus III. Impressed as I was with the original I was keen to hear what these new offering had to offer and when I heard that they were in development I requested samples. As such I was sent a number of preproduction samples to audition, some with different connector choices and some with alternate wiring configurations. The rest of this review relates to the Atratus III and a separate review will cover the II.

So what do you get?

Well, superficially at least, the Atratus III isn’t wildly different to its predecessor. It’s the same diameter, a reasonably chunky 9mm, but instead of the retro ‘braided kettle lead’ look of the old it is now green and covered in a black open weave sheath with a white thread running through it. The overall look is smart and restrained in my view but then it’s not something you are going to see very much once it’s plugged into the back of your hi-fi. Despite its diameter it is a reasonably flexible cable, but it wouldn’t be my first choice if space is at a premium. The RCA plugs used are the excellent KLEI Harmony plugs* and not just the copper variant, these are the more costly silver! Plugs and cable are neatly joined together with high silver content solder and Epiphany Acoustics branded heat-shrink provides additional cable strain relief where cable and plug meet.

As to the construction of the actual cable, Epiphany Acoustics say this:

“Specified for a low resistance, the design incorporates a dual shield construction – utilising both a copper braid and foil – to protect the internal heavy gauge OCC copper signal conductor from extraneous noise pick up and interference.”

The samples I tried were from early pre-production they didn’t yet have the normal heat-shrink fitted. As a result, I was able to unscrew the barrel of the RCA plugs and have a look at what exactly the cable construction consists of
. Inside there are two twisted conductors and each of these is made out of a number of individually insulated solid copper wires (the insulation is apparently Teflon). These two bundles are soldered to the signal pin. Around that there is a foil braid and then a dense copper braid that forms the return – in all, there is a lot of good quality copper involved!

So what does it sound like?

Well the inevitable comparison is against the original Atratus. I still rate the original very highly, it’s dynamic and bold and conveys the musical joie de vivre. To this the III brings an extra level of sophistication and transparency, a remarkable ‘hear into’ the musical event quality and strength of image focus. In comparison the soundstage of the MkI sounds rather flat and upfront, less layered; there’s a subtlety to the rendering of the III that eludes its predecessor. I’ve also had the chance to compare the Atratus III to a number of other well regarded cables, both of similar price and significantly above and the III is simply the best I have heard. The Atratus has the ability of making some sound rather dull and lacklustre whilst others are almost brash and monochromatic. In short, the Atratus III has supplanted the MkI in my system and I’ve now been happily using it for a couple of months. So, how does the III compare to the II I hear you ask? Well, the II is more like the original Atratus in that it is a bit less transparent, polished and refined but carries the rhythm and tempo well. One of the things I was able to try was the III fitted with both the copper and the silver KLEI plugs. The silver option bringing a greater sense of focus and layering to the soundstage and more nuanced shading in the upper mid and lower treble – a relatively subtle improvement but, I think, worthwhile in this context.

Conclusion:

The Atratus III retails for just under £100 for a stereo metre (£89.99 for 0.5 metre and (£119.99 for two metres). At this price I consider it to be the nearest thing to an interconnect bargain one is likely to find, particularly as it includes the finest RCA plugs I know of (on their own these cost two thirds the cost of the entire cable) and is the best cable I have used (though far from being the most expensive). Epiphany Acoustics only sell direct from their website (http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk), not through retailers, and there is obviously a huge saving in doing so. Obviously ordering something like this mail order means that you are unlikely to be able to audition it first but to give you peace of mind Epiphany Acoustics offer a “14 day no-quibble return policy to allow you to evaluate their performance in your own system”. I’ve been very impressed with this cable and thoroughly recommend it, even if you are using something that is more expensive and, superficially, more exotic I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

* The KLEI Harmony plugs used on this cable deserve special mention I think. I’ve tried many different RCA plugs and have concluded that they make a significant contribution toward a cables performance. The KLEI Harmony plugs are a further development of the Eichmann Bullet plug (designed by the same man, Keith Louis Eichmann) and are my clear favourites, even over some costing very much more! They come in three variants, Copper, Silver and Pure. The ones fitted to the Atratus III are the Silver and use a solid silver ground pin and double silver plated pure copper signal pin. The KLEI plugs have terrific detail, focus and transparency with a very coherent sound and great subtlety of texture. In my opinion these are, quite simply, the best RCA connectors on the market.

Declared interests:

As mentioned earlier, I had the opportunity to audition a number of preproduction versions of this cable. However, I was not paid to do so and I don’t have any connection, financial or otherwise, with Epiphany Acoustics

Mark,

Thanks for sharing your review, as someone whom believes in venturing outwards to other countries when it comes to learning about components and cabling looms besides what's built here in the USA, it's always nice to come across such interesting cables, especially taking their cost into account, if not for your review, I for one wouldn't known about them, so for that alone, I owe you debt of thanks.

Regards,
o_O scar

That's very kind of you. I think, at least for cables, the direct selling method is likely to become the norm and there are already excellent products being sold by small companies like Epiphany Acoustics, Flashback Cables, Reference Fidelity Components and Mark Grant Cables (all of which I have dealt with and can heartily recommend). Cables are so easy to ship the idea of returning it if it doesn't suit ones needs/tastes is much less of an issue than for larger, heavier items (like amplifiers, speakers etc. and the associated dangers of damage occurring in transit). No matter how you look at the costing of the component elements there is no way that a cable of this quality is available from a normal shop for this price (IMO).

That's very kind of you. I think, at least for cables, the direct selling method is likely to become the norm and there are already excellent products being sold by small companies like Epiphany Acoustics, Flashback Cables, Reference Fidelity Components and Mark Grant Cables (all of which I have dealt with and can heartily recommend). Cables are so easy to ship the idea of returning it if it doesn't suit ones needs/tastes is much less of an issue than for larger, heavier items (like amplifiers, speakers etc. and the associated dangers of damage occurring in transit). No matter how you look at the costing of the component elements there is no way that a cable of this quality is available from a normal shop for this price (IMO).

Just giving credit where's it's due, and I've always felt it best to always go to the place of origin for anythings of interest, as whom would be more capable of sharing advise on these items compared to those whom have an opportunity to listen to them more easier then we can here in the states!, it's common logic it has been a global market for quite sometimes now, and I've always loved diversity in components and cabling looms more then most.

So in my mind, one doesn't have to merely settle for what's sold in any one country if they're open minded enough to read, the read again on what might actually be a better option that just might suit their systems and taste even better, at a fraction of the cost compared to something locally, and it might actually be cheaper, yet better sounding!. But one never knows..........., if one isn't willing to try.

Once again, it's a universal thing, and once again in my mind you've done a great service to your countrymen in sharing said wares. It's an honor knowing people like you, as differences do in fact make our world what it is, diverse.

Once again, it's a universal thing, and once again in my mind you've done a great service to your countrymen in sharing said wares. It's an honor knowing people like you, as differences do in fact make our world what it is, diverse.
!!!

I've listened to the cables, so should make some comments.

Firstly I'd like to thank Jerry for supplying the cables, and to the combined postal services for getting them here promptly.

Secondly, the comments below, which are hopefully mercifully short, are entirely my subjective opinions based on sighted tests. They are by no means definitive.

Thirdly, my BH decided it was more fun to go to Amsterdam for the weekend rather than plug and unplug cables. This meant there was up to a minute's gap to change cables, which undoubtedly affects auditory memory.

My listening impressions threw up one surprise. I compared the Epiphany cables in my main system with some ancient Cardas cables worth probably the same or a bit more, some cheap (Vivanco) composite video cables and a black freebie.

Given that composite cables are used in the turntable community because of low resistance/capacitance, I wasn't expecting them to be from the different others to the degree they were. These were the only tables that seemed notably different, in that the treble was rolled off to the extent of sounding muffled. Not having any means of verifying their technical performance, I wondered whether it might have been shielding - this is Paris, small apartment, French innovative electrical wiring - so swapped in the aforementioned black unshielded cheapies.

Put simply, if there was a difference between the Epiphany, Cardas and cheapy, in my system with my ears they were all equally effective and I could not hear any difference. From time to time I thought I cold hear and extra clarity in the bass or drums, only to hear the same clarity with the passage repeated and another cable was used.

In system two, which is in the middle of the country with only the postal van once a day to break the silence, I compared the epiphany with a wire world cable and an imposing-looking Amazon composite video cable. Again, I thought the composite was a touch rolled off, but that could be due to expectation. No discernible difference between the other two.

All I can conclude, other than the composite cables may not be suitable for HiFi applications, is that in my systems with my midrange gear any sound differences caused by using different cables were not obvious.

My gear:
1) LP12 or Harman Kardon HD 990>Electrocompaniet EC 2>Harbeth HL-P3ES
2) Sony BD-S370>Myryad Z140>Neat Motive 2

No problem, avole, a pleasure.

But I have to say that I do find it perplexing that the 2 folks who have taken me up on my loan offer are not folk who up until now hear differences between cables.
Their conclusions? - nope, still don't hear any differences.
I do rather wonder as to the point of the exercise ... :confused:

Don't know who those two people are, but the reason I have relatively expensive cables is because I did hear differences. It was the result of a blind and sighted test at a friends place that persuaded me to change that view.

My interest in listening to the Epiphany was to find out whether that view was correct or not - still that nagging doubt, you see. I can only add that possibly I don't have the most transparent system which is why subtle differences may be lost, or that, in one system anyway, both cables of around the same price were similar in performance.

As pointed out, I did hear differences in two cables, and would like to think I could pick out those two cables in a blind test. Only trouble as that they weren't strictly speaking audio cables, although many use them as such.

Thanks to you again, it was an interesting and, for me anyway, a worthwhile exercise.

No problem, avole, a pleasure.

But I have to say that I do find it perplexing that the 2 folks who have taken me up on my loan offer are not folk who up until now hear differences between cables.
Their conclusions? - nope, still don't hear any differences.
I do rather wonder as to the point of the exercise ... :confused:

This is unfair .

a persons choice of taking you up on thier offer is probably determined by the type of person they are rather than their position in the great cable debate .

And you are subjectivist coming dangerously close to arguing expectation bias :D

Jandl100, it's not true that up to now I have not heard differences in cables.

I've heard differences in speaker cables when I've compared them in my system. Subtle tonal differences in the bass and treble.

I can also hear differences between 2 cartridges that are the same, but have different shaped tips on the end. Plus differences if I move my speakers back by 6 inches. Or change the amps on the bass or upper frequencies in the system I tested the Atratus cables in. Or change the tracking weight of my cartridge by 0.15 grammes. Or place my turntable on a different support. Etc etc etc.

I was also able to hear a very subtle difference between a mega-cheapo non-branded interconnect and a c£15 Puresonic one and the £130 Atratus one.

But I did not hear any differences between the Puresonic and the Atratus cables in my system, with my test tracks.

Just as I can't hear any difference between having my speakers as the only ones in my room and then having them share the room with a Heybrook HB1 speaker placed in the middle of the room (not connected to any amps).

If there was a difference of any significance at all in any of my tests, I would have heard it and reported it. When there was no difference that I could detect at all I reported that.

Sometimes in hi-fi, a change will make a difference. Sometimes it won't. No big deal.

And of course, it's quite possible that if I compared the Puresonics with the Atratus cables in the same system as yours or YNWOAN's that I would hear differences. It's also possible that I wouldn't. Impossible to know which without actually trying it.

advertisement

Back