advertisement

Return to work,

graystoke4

pfm Member
Hi, i hurt my back over a week ago, so i had last week off, my boss was off work today so i did not get my return to work, interview, i think he will be in tomorrow, the question is, what is the time limit that they have to do this, or they lose the right , and i get away with it, or is it different to all firms, cheers andy,

There's no legal requirement for you have a return to work interview at all. Many employers will have a formal procedure for such interviews so all their staff are treated the same, though this is all entirely at your employer's discretion.

Like gary, I'm not sure what the issue is here, but a day's delay because your boss wasn't there today is hardly unreasonable, is it?

Hi, i have had no sick time of for a year and a half, this will put me on stage one, which means i can't have anymore time of for 6 months, i think, then stage two, then three, and then the sack, this is roughly speaking, don't know the exact times, But you get the drift,

If your employer later dismissed you , and you went to an employment tribunal , do you think a few days delay in a rtw interview would sway the tribunal?

Hi, i have had no sick time of for a year and a half, this will put me on stage one, which means i can't have anymore time of for 6 months, i think, then stage two, then three, and then the sack, this is roughly speaking, don't know the exact times, But you get the drift,

One week off in 18m won’t put you on a stage one, the attendance process is based on a rolling 12m period.

It might be worth having a word with the union rep if there is one handy.
Chances are your manager will catch up with the rtw process as long as he returns to work in time.

Been a long time since I held any union responsibilities but if your employer fails to follow procedure re return to work/action plan/chain of care etc I think they would find it hard to justify sacking you later on. It won't necessarily stop them and they may view tribunal costs as being a risk. Hope you're in a Union and am sorry your employer views sickness this way. If you'd been off longer self certification wouldn't have been an option and you'd have a doctor's word to support you.

am sorry your employer views sickness this way.

The OP works for Royal Mail, like me, and they don’t. The sickness policy is pretty generous compared to other companies.

Iirc, you have to have had at least 3 separate absences or over 15 days continuous absence in a rolling 12 month period for it to result in a 1st stage warning. Then I think the same again before it progresses to the 2nd stage warning, and something similar before it gets to the third stage. If there’s an ongoing medical condition that requires frequent absences, e.g cancer treatment then managers have discretion as to whether they progress the attendance procedures, and generally they don’t in cases like that.

If Andy really hasn’t had a day off sick in 18m then there’s no chance a weeks self certified sickness will result in a stage warning, unless something else is going on.

If your employer later dismissed you , and you went to an employment tribunal , do you think a few days delay in a rtw interview would sway the tribunal?
It certainly would, if the company procedures were not followed to the letter. Unions and their lawyers love this kind of cockup. It means basically that anything outside your procedure simply doesn't count. ETs are very often concerned with the letter and not necessarily the spirit of the law.

Good to hear your thoughts Rob, postmen have a pretty rough time . Last Christmas I intervened when a drug dealer started abusing a post office worker and tried opening his door

He started on me and as it was Christmas eve said , something like I hope you have a f...... awful Christmas.

Nasty piece of work and I wrote to Hq to commend these 2 postmen for their work having served our area for many years

advertisement

Back