advertisement

Retirement

The same argument occurs when considering downsizing into sheltered accomodation. The management cost of the accoumodation plus the cost of sellling and buying into the sheltered accomodation make staying in the original house and having people come in to keep the house nice, you can buy a lot of gardening support and house support for the cost of the management fees in a sheltered setup.

Just fill your days doing exactly what you want to do.
But remember you won't bounce as well as you used to.
43455475064_272d336d55_c.jpg

Ouch, that's your recent motorcycle track day mishap, isn't it? Hope you are on the mend. For a displaced fracture like that, are you looking at a pinning operation? I did similar aged 12 on a bicycle, but obviously at 12 a broken collarbone is currency. 3 weeks in a sling, job done. Bouncing is easy at 12, even at speed onto tarmac.

Bouncing off a car aged 42 was a bit more problematic. This brings us back to the "enjoy your summers" thread.

funnily enough I have been with a care coordinator today and it costs a fair bit more than that in Worcester! We are looking at well over 400 quid a week for 1.5 hours a day. Now if you compare that to many nursing homes that cost from 1k to 8k a month it's cheap

You might want to check this site out https://blog.myhometouch.com/how-much-does-24-hour-live-in-care-cost-in-2018

They can also supply carers.

Also you may be eligible for help "The biggest fear about funding long-term care is that you’ll be forced to sell your home if you need to move into a care home. Fortunately, if you need care in your own home its value is not counted." https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-to-fund-your-long-term-care-a-beginners-guide

A member of our family who lives in South Africa used to come to the UK as a live in carer for a few months each year as the Rand was so cheap vs the £. She gave it up at the age of 70!

Cheers,

DV

Hi,

Having working in Social Care for 20 years I have seen the homes, the costs and the issues involved.

So my care home plan is this, there is this seat, yes that's it in the picture, overlooking one of the best golf course and beach views in the UK, I will have with me a couple of bottles of my favourite drink, well chilled, I will get what ever colour of pill I need and drift off watching the sunset.

The ground staff can find me in the morning and my relations can have my house and pay for the funeral, they should have plenty left after the house sells.

Funeral plans if you have your own home are in my opinion not required, unless you have get an undertaker like a friend of mine had for his brother who demanded to be paid before the funeral, his words to my friend were, "Your brother does not go into the ground unless I get paid first", a charming person to have at a time like that.

I watched my mother end her days in a care home and they way in which she died my family who were there asked me to leave the care home before I said anything, and yes I did inform the proper authorities and that matter and other issues I had seen were resolved.

Having heard similar stories from a number of my friends about their parents or loved ones who ended their days in a care home that is one place I would not want to end my days in.

Cheers

John

Hi,

Having working in Social Care for 20 years I have seen the homes, the costs and the issues involved.

So my care home plan is this, there is this seat, yes that's it in the picture, overlooking one of the best golf course and beach views in the UK, I will have with me a couple of bottles of my favourite drink, well chilled, I will get what ever colour of pill I need and drift off watching the sunset.

The ground staff can find me in the morning and my relations can have my house and pay for the funeral, they should have plenty left after the house sells.

Funeral plans if you have your own home are in my opinion not required, unless you have get an undertaker like a friend of mine had for his brother who demanded to be paid before the funeral, his words to my friend were, "Your brother does not go into the ground unless I get paid first", a charming person to have at a time like that.

I watched my mother end her days in a care home and they way in which she died my family who were there asked me to leave the care home before I said anything, and yes I did inform the proper authorities and that matter and other issues I had seen were resolved.

Having heard similar stories from a number of my friends about their parents or loved ones who ended their days in a care home that is one place I would not want to end my days in.

Cheers

John

Very similar to our experience with my mother in law.
She was treated abominably.
She was even hospitalised after one incident with staff.
It was the only one that would take dementia patients that was local.
After she died a close friend reported the home which was inspected and got such a damning report senior management were sacked.

Ouch, that's your recent motorcycle track day mishap, isn't it? Hope you are on the mend. For a displaced fracture like that, are you looking at a pinning operation? I did similar aged 12 on a bicycle, but obviously at 12 a broken collarbone is currency. 3 weeks in a sling, job done. Bouncing is easy at 12, even at speed onto tarmac.

Bouncing off a car aged 42 was a bit more problematic. This brings us back to the "enjoy your summers" thread.
69 and still doing track days. Not sensible, but then I never have been. No pinning, it seems it's not required, and after 3 weeks I can use it with a bit of pain, even took the bike round the block just now to see if the repairs worked. Mind you, if I could manage a 5 hour drive home immediately afterwards it can't be too bad, eh? Going to Italy in a couple of weeks, so it will have to do.
Retirement means I have the time to do all sorts of things, just not the energy or strength to do them safely!

Good effort to ride to Italy. I still remember riding my bike into a pothole in the dark and jarring a recently broken wrist. Jesus. I stayed on the bike but actually screamed.

69 and still doing track days. Not sensible, but then I never have been. No pinning, it seems it's not required, and after 3 weeks I can use it with a bit of pain, even took the bike round the block just now to see if the repairs worked. Mind you, if I could manage a 5 hour drive home immediately afterwards it can't be too bad, eh? Going to Italy in a couple of weeks, so it will have to do.
Retirement means I have the time to do all sorts of things, just not the energy or strength to do them safely!

A couple of years ago I had a new hip.
I was fannying about in my tip of a garage and tripped myself up.
Terrified by all the dire warnings of the danger of hip dislocation I turned to land on the side away from my hip and broke my shoulder.
Hospital said surgery for “a man of my age” (64 at the time!) was a bit risky and they wouldn’t do much better than how everything had lined up naturally.
Took over a year before I could swing a golf club safely.

Good effort to ride to Italy. I still remember riding my bike into a pothole in the dark and jarring a recently broken wrist. Jesus. I stayed on the bike but actually screamed.
:D Ah, not quite! We used to ride to Italy, but flying out these days and hiring a car. I did change the booking to an automatic, though.

You might want to check this site out https://blog.myhometouch.com/how-much-does-24-hour-live-in-care-cost-in-2018

They can also supply carers.

Also you may be eligible for help "The biggest fear about funding long-term care is that you’ll be forced to sell your home if you need to move into a care home. Fortunately, if you need care in your own home its value is not counted." https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/how-to-fund-your-long-term-care-a-beginners-guide

A member of our family who lives in South Africa used to come to the UK as a live in carer for a few months each year as the Rand was so cheap vs the £. She gave it up at the age of 70!

Cheers,

DV

thanks dv , good link but as you noted it says that magic word `from` !!! so far we have had 2 very thorough assessments by coordinators and even if it costs a good deal i prefer to pay for quality . also carers are paid a pittance sometimes for a hard thankless job so they need a good wage and travelling costs too

we don`t care what it costs to try and keep her at home . as some of you have hinted nursing homes are not ideal and last option

its extremely hard to get continuing health care funding and a lot of hassle which we don`t really need really

i have known live in carers from all over but if you get the wrong one its a nightmare as they do 2 weeks at a time sometimes !!

The proposed scrapping of Class 2 NICs for the self employed has been abandoned Hammond has announced.

The same argument occurs when considering downsizing into sheltered accomodation. The management cost of the accoumodation plus the cost of sellling and buying into the sheltered accomodation make staying in the original house and having people come in to keep the house nice, you can buy a lot of gardening support and house support for the cost of the management fees in a sheltered setup.

we have not found it too onerous , bought a flat for about 85k and pay 150 a month i think , a scheme near here charges 750 a month !! [very posh part of brum !!]

a number of folks had bad experiences with care homes and a family member is having one now . but just to report that we were absolutely so impressed with the care and dedication of a nursing home near worcester . absolutely lovely place with the most caring staff . how absolutely refreshing to see . they were not perfect but if anyone in worcestershire ever wants a recommedation then drop me a line . not cheap mind

a number of folks had bad experiences with care homes and a family member is having one now . but just to report that we were absolutely so impressed with the care and dedication of a nursing home near worcester . absolutely lovely place with the most caring staff . how absolutely refreshing to see . they were not perfect but if anyone in worcestershire ever wants a recommedation then drop me a line . not cheap mind
Good to hear
The best places need to be promoted everywhere

I work in hundreds of different care homes all over the country (not in the care sector though) and there are indeed some cracking places, but they all have one thing in common and that's mega bucks. I think some of them cost more than most people earn a month, so the likelihood of ending up their is slim to none.

Most regular care homes I see are depressing beyond belief, literally worst nightmare stuff. I don't ever want to end up in a home, I'll walk into the sea first.

yes , we are experiencing 3 homes currently with good and bad experiences . the good one cost 1048 per week and medium is about 37k a year . a lot of money indeed !!

advertisement

Back