advertisement

Retirement age of Pink Fishers

As a place to live you may find that foreign local officials/councils or equivalent very alien to deal with.

Without being a native finding officials and professionals to trust is just that bit harder to do. As many property owners have found to their cost.

YMMV. You can keep it. The best part of my visits to London is the M11 northbound and Birchanger Green services in the rear view mirror.

Well I have got rid of my London property and both my wife and I have packed in our London jobs and moved back to Edinburgh - which I do prefer. I still like London though.

“When you come up to London
It sure is something to see
It's somewhere to go
But it's no place to be”

Loudon Wainwright III - Primrose Hill

I retired when I was 60. It will be 10 years ago at the end of this year.
I have done 3 "expert witness" gigs since otherwise having fun with grandchildren and listening to music.
I used ripped music files a lot whilst working since I was away from home and on a plane every week.
I researched "high res" DACs etc once I had retired but have largely gone back to CDs and LPs now.

I’m a tad late to this thread, as ever.

I’m 55, and as soon as I can retire, I will. I doubt that’ll be for another seven years at the very least though, and the future at work is looking shaky.
Working on aircraft is taking its toll now, aching and creaking joints, tired muscles. At least I didn’t play lots of rugby or football in my yooff!

Turned 50 in January and we could have retired back in the UKif wasn’t for my Dutch wife understandably refusing to live there again. Instead we sold our mortgage free house in the UK and bought a house in Switzerland with an eye wateringly huge mortgage.

So no possibility of retiring in the near future. Plan is to try and go for as long as possible in Switzerland and maybe retire here if funds allow. If not, retire elsewhere in the EU (except the UK, my wife will never go back to that dump. Her words not mine).

Don't really think I will ever retire, although I got my teaching pension just over a year ago at 60. Wen't into freelance consultancy work about 20 years ago and still doing it for clients I like and enjoy working with. Mortgage free for 20 years and we have several rental properties, got planning permission for a barn conversion on a 4 acre site straddling the River Axe, which we sold on, did the same with another smaller site nearby for 6 houses and still have another 4 acre site for future potential development. Gives us the freedom to work and travel as and when we want.

advertisement

Back