advertisement

Resolution Audio opus 21 cd player

jhud1952

Any opinions/advice would be most welcome on the Opus 21 player. Any reliability issues ? and also any info. on the XS extra sources box from current or previous owners. Thanks.

I have had one for several years, still using it regularly.
Best cd player I have owned. (have been through a few over the years)

Consider me a fan also, though my early one had no end of transport issues (all replaced FOC under warranty). One time the circuit board died (again, replaced FOC). Put me off what is otherwise a really great player. With this in mind, however, don't pay big bucks for one.

I have had one for many years (maybe 7) and I got it second hand, so they're reliable IME. I love the sound: very effortless, natural, not tiring or etched. Occasionally a CD has trouble loading but I just take it out and put it back again and it works.

I would investigate the availability of replacement mechs as I seem to recall they are no longer trading and spares are not easy to obtain.

I would investigate the availability of replacement mechs as I seem to recall they are no longer trading and spares are not easy to obtain.

Not heard that ? I got my one fitted with a new mech/laser block 5 years ago. Mr Morecroft himself did the work down at distributors . I had to do it via RA dealer in Edinburgh. All very reasonable. Fantastic machine. Still use it now and then. In fact will be having an A/B this weekend with my CDS3.
Certain discs it just will not play however. Ive got about 5. No go. Disc copy protection - who knows. One or two others, it has issues loading,but gets there in the end. Ive often wondered if this is a buffering type player ?
Ive got quite a few players currently, and Ive had many,many others over the years. The Opus 21 is right up at the top table wrt performance. Its also flexible. Dac input. Or volume control from se and balanced outputs direct to a power amp. Also takes up one shelf - looks nice too. And its got the 5 pin din output for Naim/DNM amps. Works brilliantly into a Nac 52 ( or Exposure17/21 pre's)

Im hoping that RA are still on the go here in the UK and players are still servicable.This has got me slightly concerned.

Quick check. Distributor still doing RA stuff according to website. Current RA is the Cantata.
I think they use same, or very similar disc transport/laser set up as Opus 21.
Im sure the 21 is still servicable. They sold a lot of these I believe.

If I recall, the Cantata uses a slot load CD/ROM drive that is not like the Opus unit. Have to say, both of these units are nice sounding though, with the Cantata being a looker, an expensive one albeit.

Thanks very much to all those who have contributed to this thread so far. Its all very useful info. for me.

Nothing remotely special. Modded Nu Vista on Wigwam for way less money and blows it into the weeds.

To be honest, I've heard nothing at any price anywhere that 'blows [the Opus 21] into the weeds' - that's typical audiophile hyperbole - but equally there are better players and DACs around these days. The MDAC - modded or not - and any competent CD player as a transport will give better results for less money. I've owned both, and heard many more.

I thought about another DAC at one point. Still got my trusty Benchmark MK1. Had the wee blighter 10 years now. Currently my headphone amp.
Came to the conclusion that to take any meaningful /noticeable step up from the Opus 21 , going the Dac route ,was probably going to take something rather expensive from the likes of Weiss or Nagra. Had to draw a line in the sand somewhere - so I settled for something rather expensive from Naim , but kept the 21 - just in case.

To be honest, I've heard nothing at any price anywhere that 'blows [the Opus 21] into the weeds' - that's typical audiophile hyperbole - but equally there are better players and DACs around these days. The MDAC - modded or not - and any competent CD player as a transport will give better results for less money. I've owned both, and heard many more.

Problem is John, you heard and bought lots but never wisely enough to keep it for any length of time, being a perpetual box swapper does not an expert make? I've heard a 32K player I would love, I heard your Opus 21, I've borrowed a 5K Marantz, still happy ten years later with my Nu Vista which did & still does blow the Opus into the weeds, strangely enough I'd say the problem is the difference between hi-fi and something that actually sounds like music is the bone of contention:p

Just to give you a different opinion. I Had the Opus on loan for a month or so and much preferred my Cyrus CD8SE/PSX-R. For me I couldn't understand what the fuss was about. It sounded etched and too sharp for my taste. Wonder is it just of its time? i.e bright with lots of detail and its own strange sonic signature. Imho would think it is well surpassed by modern offerings. A Wadia from that vintage would be a different story.

Was also very surprised at how light and flimsy the whole package is.

advertisement

Back