advertisement

Resleeving after cleaning vinyl with an RCM?

vln

Shuns mooks. And MQA.
How important is it to use a new sleeve after cleaning vinyl? I am talking about a modern/new poly inner sleeve in good condition that was there before the record got properly cleaned with an RCM. Would reusing this inner sleeve after the cleaning nullify the effect of the whole cleaning process that was just done?

I understand that the RCM removes the persistent dirt that's stuck deep in the grooves, and the occasional (somewhat more macroscopic) spec of dust that's inside the inner sleeve or that lands on the record while it is playing will be pushed away anyway by the needle or can be dealt with with a record brush?

Oh, and yes - I recently bought a Pro-Ject VC-E - initial impressions are positive.

Good quality branded New sleeves. Bit like having a shower and not changing socks
Belt and Braces with the VCE 1st wash with fluid
one rotation forward followed by one backwards. , 2nd wash with distilled water only & pop into fresh Sleeves Simples

I never used to bother resleeving after cleaning…until I picked up a box of 100 poly-lined paper inners from covers33 on recommendation from this very forum. At 25p each it’s not worth the agonising.

I use those.
They don’t induce static.
I choose white ones so that I can write notes on the inner sleeve.

Lots of Amazon sellers have fairly cheap Nagaoka-style rounded sleeves: example

I used to stock up on their own-brand generic jobs in Disk Union Accessory Shop in Tokyo but I've not the opportunity for quite a few years now. I've noticed some difference in thickness between different sleeves but other than that Is there much difference between different Nag-style sleeves?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
With my VC-E I employ much more than one revolution. I put a permanent marker line on the the clamp boss to facilitate counting of revs.

How important is it to use a new sleeve after cleaning vinyl? I am talking about a modern/new poly inner sleeve in good condition that was there before the record got properly cleaned with an RCM. Would reusing this inner sleeve after the cleaning nullify the effect of the whole cleaning process that was just done?

I understand that the RCM removes the persistent dirt that's stuck deep in the grooves, and the occasional (somewhat more macroscopic) spec of dust that's inside the inner sleeve or that lands on the record while it is playing will be pushed away anyway by the needle or can be dealt with with a record brush?

Oh, and yes - I recently bought a Pro-Ject VC-E - initial impressions are positive.

I use the Nagaoka style rounded end sleeves from British Audio Store. They are excellent IMHO and better than the originals.

These Spincare record inner sleeves are lovely.

Use them too, seem to do the job- as l have a cheapo record shop locally-the vinyl is cheap but with the price does come a dirty record, so putting them back in the original sleeve a big no no.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Unfortunately there's a difference.

I have used some that left fine scuffs on the record. The material used must have been abrasive or had abrasive residue. Although the scuffs were not audible, they really marred the look of the vinyl and definitely lower the grading if you decide to sell.

Also, remember that some batches of MoFi sleeves left a nasty cloudy residue on records. These were ultimately remedied I believe but not all sleeves are created equal.

So caveat emptor.

These days I am careful. I buy a small batch, test the sleeves out before committing to a large volume.

Lots of Amazon sellers have fairly cheap Nagaoka-style rounded sleeves: example

I used to stock up on their own-brand generic jobs in Disk Union Accessory Shop in Tokyo but I've not the opportunity for quite a few years now. I've noticed some difference in thickness between different sleeves but other than that Is there much difference between different Nag-style sleeves?

The worst inner sleeves I've encountered are certain card ones which are rough on the inside. It's not that they scratch records but they seem to shed fibers or dust which gets glued in the groove. Those get a poly inner sleeve.

advertisement

Back