advertisement

Resistor Mag

better just read the beer article

Hmmm. He actually means he's looking for darker, more heavily roasted malts in his beer, not more malt. There is no reason why a lager could not be brewed with very dark, even chocolate, malt, but it isn't anywhere near normal to do so. He neatly skips the huge influenece of beer (ale) and lager yeasts too.

That went downhill fast :D:eek: I apologise for my part, maybe I'm just getting grumpy 'cos of the Scottish Politics thread cr*p. :rolleyes:

I've bookmarked it though, interesting to see what people are looking at over in what I presume is Canada and other countries.

I quite like Resistor - it's undeniably hipster 'lifestyle' focused but has a lot of interesting content.

The hipster hi-fi thing is interesting. I follow a couple of Devon Turnbull's Instagram accounts. I cringe a bit at the term 'old school hi-fi influencer' but that's pretty much what it is. It's a hipster take on vintage vinyl and the sort of classic gear that the Japanese have been obsessing over for decades - big JBL and Altecs, Garrards, valve amps. I'm not surprised he's doing so well.

https://resistormag.com/features/devon-turnbull-old-school-hi-fi-influencer/

edit: I realised after posting this that 'hipster' can be read as a pejorative term. Not my intention here - was thinking more 'hip young person half my age'!

Last edited:
If ‘hipsters’ are buying Quads, vintage Tannoys and huge stacks of fabulous jazz vinyl they have dived straight into the high-watermark of audio IMHO. Donna Leake’s flat looks fabulous, exactly what a music lover’s home should look like.

If ‘hipsters’ are buying Quads, vintage Tannoys and huge stacks of fabulous jazz vinyl they have dived straight into the high-watermark of audio IMHO. Donna Leake’s flat looks fabulous, exactly what a music lover’s home should look like.

Agreed - and it's certainly a lot more interesting to me than an issue of What Hi-Fi. I've thought for a while there's a gap for a print magazine that covers classic jazz, interesting new music, vintage hi-fi, vintage watches, classic cars etc.... I'd buy it!

Yes, by far. I'm just going to avoid the equipment reviews (I think I'll still read the beer stuff though as I do need to keep up with the hipster vibe after growing a beard during lockdown).

Donna Leake is 'Dad' dancing in that video....makes me feel sooooo much more hip.

Anyone any idea what Donna Leake is playing 19 minutes in on the video on a ‘70s yellow/green Harvest label? I always had that pegged as a prog label, nothing that funky! Likely worth a shed-load too! Very collectable label once you venture beyond the massive selling Floyd, Purple etc.

PS Enjoying her set a lot and embarrassed to say I’ve recognised absolutely nothing yet.

Anyone any idea what Donna Leake is playing 19 minutes in on the video on a ‘70s yellow/green Harvest label? I always had that pegged as a prog label, nothing that funky! Likely worth a shed-load too! Very collectable label once you venture beyond the massive selling Floyd, Purple etc.

PS Enjoying her set a lot and embarrassed to say I’ve recognised absolutely nothing yet.

I don’t know but I like it! Tried Shazam on it but no result found

Indeed, very good. I wonder if this is the result of someone coming to the music without preconceptions or any peer pressure.

All great stuff. You can see a lot of interesting home DJ setups on the NTS twitter feed as well - definitely a locus of this sort of thing (Donna L djs on there among many others).

In Sheeps Clothing Hifi is another project in the same vein. https://insheepsclothinghifi.com/

You can dismiss as hipsterism but tbh this kind of musical eclecticism and the audio lineage from Japanese enthusiasts is more to my taste than elderly gents squabbling over Naim anyway ;-)

Ooo, that's another good one, I like the mirror above the TT in the Medhi El-Aquil article (Discrete Circuits)

Bring on the hipsters is what I say. They may drive prices up for the old good stuff temporarily anyway, but it should make the manufacturers take note that people who listen to good HiFi, don't just attend HiFi shows in hotels and have a diet of largly plinkty plonk Jazz.

I suspect the Audio Gold shop in London have some part to play in opening up good HiFi to young people who listen to cutting edge stuff, Gilles Peterson has gotten behind them too, a big influencer in this space.

JBL (L82s, L100s), Yamaha (VU metered old school amps at less than Accuphase and Luxman prices), Technics (reintroduction of the SL TTs) are all starting to make kit that appeals to the hipster, Rega have always done so actually in my view, but not too many other British firms.

advertisement

Back