advertisement

Requiem - recomendations please

Unregistered

pfm Member
As per the title. My partner loves this piece, so I'd like to get her a decent version, for Xmas. I'd love a version that's stunningly well recorded...but perfomance has to take precedence. Which one would you recomend and why?

Cheers,
Rich

There are dozens of Requiems, I assume it's the Mozart one. I always recommend the Herreweghe version, because it's simply the best I've ever heard and on top of that it sounds brilliant, if a little bright though ('80s recording).

There are dozens of Requiems, I assume it's the Mozart one.
Ah...yes!

Herreweghe, any chance of a link. 'Classical' novice here...as if you hadn't guessed. I've found this one, but is it your 80's recording re-released in 2006, or the same fella with a new recording?

Cheers,
Rich

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I think Mackerras's version with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra is pretty hard to beat.

However, my favourite Requiem is Verdi's and you could do a lot worse than look up one of Giulini's live BBC recordings of the work.

regards, Tam

Herreweghe, any chance of a link. 'Classical' novice here...as if you hadn't guessed. I've found this one, but is it your 80's recording re-released in 2006, or the same fella with a new recording?
I dunno, it looks like he recorded a new version of the work. I think you can go for the newer version, recently I bought his recent Bach St-Matthew Passion and I preferred it to his first version of 1984 (also soundwise).

Actually there are many, many good versions available, the only thing I would avoid are the versions played on so-called 'modern' instruments (up to the '70s). Giulini (whose Verdi Requiem is indeed still very recommendable) once recorded a very famous version of the Mozart Requiem, in 1964 I think, which remained a reference for many years. But his 120-people Philharmonia Orchestra just sounds pachydermic to today's ears, yuck.

But after all the Mozart Requiem is such a brilliant work that you could play it on a kazoo and it would still sound good. Next step would be the Brahms Requiem (I had to say it).

I've been playing the recent Naxos one lately. Very good and £5 (some come with an extra disc of assorted Naxos choral music.) They do rattle through it at quite a rate - so if you are a romantic / dwelling / savouring kind of a Requiem listener it may not be to taste.

My favourite is Hogwood/AoAM - but it misses out some of the bits that are thought to be very diluted Mozart, which can be some peoples favourite bits - so probably not a good first choice for a pressie.

advertisement

Back