advertisement

Replacing storage radiators with something which still uses Economy 7 but can be controlled remotely...

A thermal store heated by economy 7 immersion heater, would allow connection to a wet heating system with remote controlled valves and pump.
If you get any sum on your flat roof some solar thermal or PV panels could be used to heat the tank as well.

I replaced storage heaters in a clients flat with radiators from Radiwarm, based in Halifax. They were so impressed that they asked me to do 2 more flats for them. I don’t know if they can be controlled remotely, the ones I used came with an electronic programmer and each radiator can be individually controlled.

Cheers BB

I doubt whether the other tenants in the block of flats would cough up even more on a service charge for solar panels !! probably excessively high already

As above, the idea of storing heat obtained cheaply, E7, solar or anyway else, is not a runner.

Water would be the obvious storage medium, but the volume needed to provide space heating would be absolutely vast. If water was in any way suitable, storage heaters would not be full of special bricks.

As above, the idea of storing heat obtained cheaply, E7, solar or anyway else, is not a runner.

Water would be the obvious storage medium, but the volume needed to provide space heating would be absolutely vast. If water was in any way suitable, storage heaters would not be full of special bricks.

A lot of systems do indeed use big tanks of water for storage / buffering.

In an outhouse rather than the sitting room though.

A lot of systems do indeed use big tanks of water for storage / buffering.

Absolutely - the first one that I ever saw, maybe 40 years ago, was a re-use of a septic tank after mains drains were laid on. But that is 100's if not 1000's gallons.

I know someone previously suggested a Powerwall, but a cheaper battery solution is not a bad shout. They can be v low profile, modular and if you ever sell….take it with you. You could then that with something like Devola radiators that work remotely from an app. Put the same app on your iPad used for music control and you are sorted for guests.

As an illustration, Givenergy 5.2Kwh battery is about £1.5k….great software for remote management and v good support.

Paul

Just to add, it looks like ifttt may enable the Nest to Devola integration you want without needing HomeAssistant.

advertisement

Back