advertisement

Replacing a Mac Mini HD

This may be possible depending on what version you have with lots of resources online on how to do it. You may need to get some strange screw drivers as well as some of the screws have funny heads.

Don't forget you will need an external drive on a temporary basis to back it all up.... or just get an external drive and if you want it out of site stick it on the end of a long USB cable. I had a email this week from Maplins I think offering 2TB external drive for £90.

This may be possible depending on what version you have with lots of resources online on how to do it. You may need to get some strange screw drivers as well as some of the screws have funny heads.

Don't forget you will need an external drive on a temporary basis to back it all up.... or just get an external drive and if you want it out of site stick it on the end of a long USB cable. I had a email this week from Maplins I think offering 2TB external drive for £90.

I think my wife has a set of the funny screwdrivers from when she did a life support mission on her old TiBook. The temp backup of the music is done as a matter of course (I have a copy of the drive on a NAS) and I have nothing else on the drive in terms of data. I really don't want an external drive as a routine solution because space here is such a premium and tiny fingers + trailing cables is probably a bad combination too. The Mini + Dac is such a neat solution...

I use an external solution with a portable USB drive these are small and take power from the USB interface. I have my Mini on the HiFi rack and the portable drive sits behind. Ample room for two. Also a cheap solution.

So get one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_3w0pd4dhvl_b then copy all music etc to the 1TB external drive to clean up your internal disk.

Easy, quick and cheap plus no chance of buggering up your Mini.

Cheers,

DV

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I think you really would be better off with an external solution... there are some really neat ones to choose from...

http://www.123macmini.com/accessories/guide/enclosures.html

Your Mini would sit on top of one of them ...very neat as I said.

How do you run Time Machine at the moment?

That's quite neat. I'll look into UK prices. I don't run time machine. The only data on the drive is music and it was all backed up to NAS when I did the original epic disc rip. Anything new just gets copied to both.

MacMini version will help with guidance especially as you will need to create a bootable USB key if you have the 2011 version which doesn't have a DVD drive.

MacMini version will help with guidance especially as you will need to create a bootable USB key if you have the 2011 version which doesn't have a DVD drive.

It's a 4.1. i.e. Unibody, Intel Core 2 Duo, with DVD drive. I took the optional 500GB drive.

You do know that it won't match your unibody Macmini as it's a different width and depth and matches the earlier generation macmini.

Gah. No. I hadn't checked. Back to the drawing board. I might talk to one of the IT hardware guys at work and see if he can help me out with an HD swap. A single box would definitely be preferable.

The special screwdrivers are star or Torx, readily available from the likes of Maplin or RS. Just follow the on line instructions. Took me all of 20 minutes.

advertisement

Back