advertisement

Replacement tonearm cable for Rega Planar 2

vicdiaz

Just another analog freak...
Hi,

Any recommendations for a replacement tonearm cable for a Rega Planar 2? No tonearm rewiring required.

The arm cable on Rega arms isn’t replaceable unless surgery is performed. This may not be the case with the very early R200, I’m not sure.

As with RB tonearms, the R200 internal wires are solder connected to the wiring harness plug.

There are 3 distinct R200 wiring patterns, with two having a dedicated ground lead, and the last being the same as RB300 with ground connected via left channel -ve. R200 has two internal black ground wires plus a metal strip grounding the pillar.

That makes things simple then - there is no easy replacement tonearm cable for a Rega 2 (irrespective of its age, young or old).

One can order a replacement external lead with plug for RB series tonearms from Rega.
These also also show up on the used market quite frequently, occasionally the old R200 leads too.

You would still have to do some tonearm surgery to fit one though and I take from the OP that this isn’t what is wanted.

It's a fiddly job as there is little slack on the internal wire exiting from the tonearm pillar. That applies to all Rega arms.

IIRC, Vic knows his way round both a multimeter and a soldering iron. When he said...
No tonearm rewiring required.
...I suspect he meant that 'all internal wires show continuity and none have been cut or broken off short'.

The method used by Rega to wire their tonearms leaves plenty of internal wire to change out an external lead; that is, provided the original wires are either desoldered from the plug or cut off flush at the solder joints.

rp1-7.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC, Vic knows his way round both a multimeter and a soldering iron. When he said...

...I suspect he meant that 'all internal wires show continuity and none have been cut or broken off short'.

Yes, all internal wires (and tonearm cable) are OK. Customer just wants to swap the tonearm cable. Done a rewire myself and it requires tons of patience to get the wiring loom thru the small holes in the arm collar and arm tube, plus the risk of damaging the internal ground cable.

Yes, all internal wires (and tonearm cable) are OK. Customer just wants to swap the tonearm cable. Done a rewire myself and it requires tons of patience to get the wiring loom thru the small holes in the arm collar and arm tube, plus the risk of damaging the internal ground cable.
Customer should be well impressed with the girth of the current 'LOW CAPACITANCE - HIGH PERFORMANCE - TONEARM CABLE' from Rega, then.

I don't know if it is the same Klotz cable that Rega first used on RB1000 and Couple interconnect. That was custom branded GY107 which has subsequently been renamed AC110 with identical configuration and specs. Plugs were decent quality Rean by Neutrik NYS373 on the RB303 and RB330 that I've seen.

Last edited:
I had my very early (Manticore badged) RB250 rewired by Audio Origami 10 years ago when I last bought a new turntable. Silver internal wire, gold cart tags and some nice long Linn tails I had knocking around. Very tidy and still going strong (one case of broken solder on a cartridge tag notwithstanding). I can't say what difference it made as the arm went straight on a new turntable with a different cart, but I'd go straight to them if I was looking to do the same again - although I wouldn't fanny around just replacing the outer cable either.

@vicdiaz,

My sources tell me that Rega used to market the RB1000 external cable (in polybag with pamphlet) as upgrade for RB300. This was the same Klotz GY107 based custom branded double shielded co-axial with Rega terminal block/plug and Neutrik Profi RCAs, as that which was provided with RB600, etc.

Obviously these don't come up on the used market very often, unlike the cast off earlier RB300, RB250, etc. external leads. The fuzzy photo below is from a recent eBay auction. If you look closely you'll notice a typo 'W' where there should be an 'Ω' (or, perhaps it was the accidental omission of '/A^2'?).

Rega-RB900-cable-harness.jpg

Last edited:

advertisement

Back