advertisement

Replacement speaker cables for naim kit

ian1948

Hi everyone. Advice and comments please. Just re-sited my kit and speakers and the difficulty of “bending” Naim speaker cables was a nightmare. Made me think that a change might be needed and I’m drawn because of all the fuss to Kudos KS1 speaker cable. But I’m concerned whether it’s ok with my old olives kit. CDX into NAC 102 with NAPSC 2 and APX 2 into NAP 140 into Credos and with a CXN 2 streamer. Do I need to stick to the “traditional” length or could I use 2.5 metres? Thanks in advance.

Someone else here will probably have more relevant personal experience (I have an Olive 250, but have stayed with figure 8/side-by-side wire configurations). I suspect KS1 would be better to be longer than the 'traditional' 3.5m length due to its lower inductance.

From the green site....(or is it white now):

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/can-short-speaker-cable-lengths-damage-equipment/23740/11
.....Naim amps want a minimum 3.5uH inductance load, NACA5 is 1uH per metre, hence why the 3.5m cable length.
KS-1 will have a different inductance, I suspect it’s around 0.6uH/m meaning 5.8m is needed to get the 3.5uH load

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/kudos-ks1-speaker-cable/18208/68
.....I use Chord Odyssey, which is similar in many respects to KS1 in its construction & materials.
I measured that & found it was 0.6uH/m. This means it would need to be 5.8m long to be 3.5uH overall. I have 5m per side.
But I suspect 3.5m of KS1 or the similar Chords will be perfectly OK, it will not damage anything fore sure but might sound best with a longer length.

I'm using Chord Rumour 2. I think it's better than Naca5, just more life to it.
I've read about the KS1 and if you compare the specs with the Rumour 2 you'll see they're pretty much the same with just slightly different insulation.

I’m using Linn K20 on all my Naim and Exposure amps no matter if they are vintage or not and they all sound very good, no problems of bending and for the price, I always use 3.5 meters.

Avondale cables are nice and bendy. Sound good as well. Keep an eye on the classifieds here and on ebay.

I hope it is ok to jump in with a question please, I’ve just picked up a Nait 5i and I’m using it with Martin Logan 35xti. I currently use Van Damms speaker cable of under 2m lengths, it sounds great but is there a more suitable cable I should be using? Particularly with regards to potential damage? This is all new information to me.

A Nait 5i is not that sensitive to length of speaker cable.
However I'd not run that short length with any Naim amp as they sound better with the load of longer length.
Van Damme is likely around 6M optimized.

I’m very happy with how it sounds now so if it’s just a matter of SQ then I’ll stay as I am, but if there could possibly be an issue with damaging the equipment I’d make the change.

advertisement

Back