advertisement

Replacement for Naim NAC72 with Ryan Sound Labs boards

nap90

pfm Member
Hi,

I have two systems:
Living room - CDS2/NAC82/1xHicap w TPR/2x135s, Kudos Super 20 loudspeakers
Hobby room - ND5 SX/ NAC72 with Ryan Sound lab innards / TPR hicap / 180 / SBL loudspeakers

The hobby room system was always miles better than the living room system - oodles more boogie and foot tapping. Recently i swapped out the 82 in the living room for the RSL 72 - and the boogie was back in the living room system. I really like what the RSL 72 does.

I would love to have the 72 back in the hobby room, so need a replacement for the 82 in the living room system that is better than the RSL72. What would i need to go for? NAC52? 252? or 552 even?

Kind Regards
Matthew

Avsondale Grad One / TPX2.

For reference, I had a 82 and preferred my 72 with Avondale 821A’s.

Bruv Sawney found my Grad One significantly better than his 72 with RSL boards.

The 135 were designed to fit with chrome bumper preamps so I would get another 72 and put some RSL or Neil Jadman’s boards.
Never heard an Avondale pre though.

What you actually need is a dual teddycap or teddy supercap for your 82.

The RSL circuits are essentially the same as the naim ones but with more local regulation and decoupling so a similar improvement can be had by improving the PSU and increasing the number of rails on other naim preamps. The 82 is very severely hobbled by running on a single HC (even if it's a TPR one).

Since you obviously have two TPR Hicaps see what happens when you put both of them on the 82 at the same time. That's likely to be a good indicator of how much improvement is possible/probable, but not the absolute limit.

advertisement

Back