advertisement

Replacement for Audioquest Dragonfly black?

MEMF1980

pfm Member
I have an audioquest dragonfly black 1.5 DAC that is starting to come to the end of its life (it is well used and travelled and the case is starting to come apart).

I will attempt a repair but wondered if it was worth replacing like for like or if there were any other good options?

I use it with my laptop/phone in to my hifi but also into a portable speaker (mini rig) when outside or away and also with my phone and headphones.

I realise there are better DAC’s out there but portability is a big plus and don’t want to spend mega bucks as I mainly listen to vinyl at home.

Thanks

I had one of these bought for a fraction of list price on one of Julian's VIP deals that really impressed me. I moved it on in the classifieds here when I went over to wireless Sennheisers for listening on the move. Looks like they no longer make them, but if you saw one 2nd hand at a competitive price it might be worth a punt. Not the one on eBay with a BIN of £50, that's a rip off...
https://www.richersounds.com/cambridge-audio-usb-dac-headphone-amp.html

Not one I've heard personally, but I've been impressed by Cyrus in the past and that price is tempting!
https://www.richersounds.com/cyrus-gaming-soundkey.html

I’m waiting for a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro which is the same as the Hidizs S8 for €36. The S9 comes with a balance out which isn’t very useful for me right and costs 3x. I’ll let you know if it’s worth it though I don’t have a Dragonfly to compare it with, but for £30 it’s not much to worry. I can compare it with the iPad out as it’s a very decent dac and amp in its own with not very hard to drive headphones like my Philips X2HR. It’s better than the one in my desktop computer at least.

Thanks all some good tips there. I’ll keep an eye on ASR (most of what they say turns my brain to mush) but sure I can pick out the general idea.

Dragonfly red is the obvious answer. Appreciably better than the black and can be picked up 2nd hand now. The cobalt is better again but i think the red is the best value one.

I have a red one, it’s great and improves everything that it plugs into.

Dragonfly red is the obvious answer. Appreciably better than the black and can be picked up 2nd hand now. The cobalt is better again but i think the red is the best value one.

I have a red one, it’s great and improves everything that it plugs into.

thanks, yes I may well try and test a red. I tried one on my old system but I don’t think it was good enough to hear enough difference vs the black. Hopefully my new system is a bit more discerning.

thanks, yes I may well try and test a red. I tried one on my old system but I don’t think it was good enough to hear enough difference vs the black. Hopefully my new system is a bit more discerning.

The dragonfly’s are really good at improving sources into headphones, the improvement can be startling! However, I found that it wasn’t as good an improvement plugged into my hifi (using my phone as a source). This has come up on other threads.

Like you I mainly just listen to vinyl. I use the dragonfly for music from phone to headphones and when watching films on the iPad. I tried it into my hifi but preferred the dac in my amp and instead made a simple rasberry pi streamer.

Hi all ... my dragonfly black has finally died in one channel so time has come to make a decision.

For my needs I’ve narrowed it down to either another dragonfly black or a topping d10 - anyone managed to compare these two?

or anyone have either for sale (not quite at the magic 50 posts yet).

thanks- Jon

I'm sure I've read somewhere that someone's out of warranty black or red had died and after contacting Audiioquest directly they replaced it FOC.
I'd get in touch with then if I were you, you may get lucky:)

I'm sure I've read somewhere that someone's out of warranty black or red had died and after contacting Audiioquest directly they replaced it FOC.
I'd get in touch with then if I were you, you may get lucky:)
Yes, that was me. It was my original 1.2 that my wife bought me. I told them I loved it
and was disappointed that it had broken. They provided me with a Black for the cost of postage. I’ve sincere soldered the 1.2. Like anything, it’s the conversation you have and the relationship you make as a customer.

advertisement

Back