advertisement

replacement ECC82 for unison unico amp & cd player

monsta

pfm Member
hiya

would anyone know of a good replacement for the ECC82 tubes used in the unison unico amp and unico cd player? i don't know much about this subject and aren't sure what to get? Any ideas out there? Do they need to be matched pairs?

cheers

john

Hi John.

I don't know your particular amp and cd player but I have found out, through my own recent change over to a valve amp, that there are loads of possible replacements - counting in the hundreds - for the ECC82 valve you're looking to replace.

Matched pairs are better, and places like www.watfordvalves.com or www.hotroxuk.com have a large selection of possible replacements. You can also check ebay for the possible New Old Stock ones on there, although it can sometimes be a bit of a minefield actually obtaining NOS ones, as some sellers seem to classify them as such via different measurements. A good place to research tubes/valves is via The Tube Asylum at this link http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/bbs.html, using the search engine there, or via the ongoing 'My favourite valve' thread in the 'Classic' pages here on PFM.

If you're happy with the sound you've got, it may be easiest to just buy direct replacements of the ones you already have in your amp and CD player. Tube rolling can be fun to try, however, and with the options of either ECC82, 12AU7, CV4003, M8136 or 5963 valves to name a few (different model numbers for similar spec'd valves), you can experiment to your hearts content.

Have fun,

Chris.

The CV4003 and the M8136 are the military versions and are *ruggedised*. They exhibit slightly less gain than the commercial variants but generally are less microphonic. Mullard manufactured valves are IMO, the best available versions. If you need help, call me 01246 200096 - I know where I can put my hands on some....

advertisement

Back