advertisement

Replacement cartridge for Ariston Q Deck

Bourneendboy

pfm Member
My Brother-in-law has an old Ariston Q Deck that requires a new cartridge and I've said I'll ask here for any recommendations.
He's not an audiophile, so not looking to spend much, can anyone make any good budget suggestions around £50 maximum.

He's in Bristol and I see there is an Audio-T selling Rega Carbon and Audio Technical VM95 within budget - any good?

Thanks for any advice!

I believe the VM95 is the latest incarnation of the AT95e - one of the greatest bargains in Hifi IMO - that would be my choice, but I can't say I've ever owned a Rega cart
And the VM95 is available with a conical stylus which will tolerate poor alignment without problems… and it’s cheap!

Thanks chaps, I'll point him in the direction of the At from Audio-T. Of course, he will find out once he calls, but are Audio-T likely to charge him for fitting?

The Rega Carbon is an AT3600 with a badge, AIUI, so choose accordingly. You won't go wrong with your suggestions, the 95 and the 3600 are decent enough entry level carts at a bargain price.

AT 3600L or VM95e, depending on how much he wants to spend. I'd go with the 95e, the Q Deck will benefit from the brighter sound.
The VM95 isn’t brighter than the 3600L. Quite the opposite actually. I have both (well the 95ML version) & can’t understand why some people assume the 95 has this characteristic. It sounds nothing like the AT95e of old - I have one of those too.

OTOH the 3600L is well balanced into 100pF. It is a very engaging, musical cartridge that I can’t recommend highly enough.

The VM95 isn’t brighter than the 3600L. Quite the opposite actually. I have both (well the 95ML version) & can’t understand why some people assume the 95 has this characteristic. It sounds nothing like the AT95e of old - I have one of those too.
To be fair that's good to hear, the 95 of old was a little shrill. I had the 110, which was the step up and cost a couple of quid more, and that was also a little bright. A Linn dealer then talked me into a Linn K5 as "a huge upgrade", which it wasn't.

To be fair that's good to hear, the 95 of old was a little shrill. I had the 110, which was the step up and cost a couple of quid more, and that was also a little bright. A Linn dealer then talked me into a Linn K5 as "a huge upgrade", which it wasn't.
So much depends on input capacitance. At 100pF in the preamp, the VM95 is rolled off in the treble. I had to compensate by lifting the treble on the amplifier.

The Q Deck shipped as standard with the Ortofon OM5E which are available for under £50.
I think the VM95e is better than the OM5E. I've heard those little Ortofons on lots of turntables and fitting an AT is always an improvement.

The VM95 isn’t brighter than the 3600L. Quite the opposite actually.
I don't agree. the 3600L has a conical stylus and a plastic cantilever. The VM95e has an alloy cantilever and elliptical stylus. I've had both on multiple turntables and there is no way the 3600L can deliver the treble detail and sparkle the 95e can.

I think the VM95e is better than the OM5E. I've heard those little Ortofons on lots of turntables and fitting an AT is always an improvement.

I don't agree. the 3600L has a conical stylus and a plastic cantilever. The VM95e has an alloy cantilever and elliptical stylus. I've had both on multiple turntables and there is no way the 3600L can deliver the treble detail and sparkle the 95e can.
There are videos on YouTube that agree with me, even comparing the 3600L & VM95E. What’s your input pF?

BTW I’ve just taken delivery of a fine line stylus for the 3600L, Al cantilever & all. It doesn’t sound brighter than the CF conical stylus. It’s very nice!

So much depends on input capacitance. At 100pF in the preamp, the VM95 is rolled off in the treble. I had to compensate by lifting the treble on the amplifier.
That's interesting. Input values are known to be critical with all MMs, yet most stages, especially those in the budget integrated amps that the typical AT95 owner has, aren't adjustable. I don't actually know what the default settings are, I know that they tend to be standardised and geared towards the normal values, but not the actual values.

The last time I asked or an AT95e in Audio-T I was politely informed it was too cheap a thing for them to be dealing in and was referred to the now defunct B&B HiFi.

advertisement

Back