advertisement

Replacement Car Key Advice

Whaleblue

Southbound
We have both originals working, but one is a little flaky at times, and the other doesn’t allow for the metal fold in key part to fold.

So, if it’s not too pricey we’d like another “spare” that would become the main key.

Any recommendations for a service that covers Sussex?

Thanks.

Depending upon the age and make of your car it may pay to discuss with your main dealer as the keys for most modern cars have to be coded to the vehicle to allow activation and deactivation of the immobiliser etc.

If your car is less than about 15 years old you may have to take a deep breath. Go to any locksmith, they can do things like a 2003 Mondeo for "only" £35 or so, if you don't want remote unlock. If you do, twice that. I recently had a new key madefor my Audi A5, 2009 model, £120. Ouch.

When I looked into getting a 'full' replacement remote programmed key for my old Civic the 3rd party locksmiths didn't offer enough of a saving over the main dealer to persuade me. £120 locksmith vs £180 at Honda iirc.

Timpsons advertise a car key service these days...just saying.
All key places do. What they don't offer is the dealer only bits (yours for £100 Sir) and they may not have all the codes if yours is an unpopular model. It will still cost a similar amount to what I described above, because they need to pay for the software to talk to the computer. Extra security, unfortunately, comes at a cost.

When I looked into getting a 'full' replacement remote programmed key for my old Civic the 3rd party locksmiths didn't offer enough of a saving over the main dealer to persuade me. £120 locksmith vs £180 at Honda iirc.
2/3 the price isn't enough of a saving? I'd take the £60.

If it a 'physical/mechanical' issue with one, maybe get an empty one off ebay, and transfer the insides across? Did that with the wife's Qashqai key, as the plastic key 'loop' at the top broke off.

This ^. You can get a blank key/empty fob case, for about £10 on Ebay, and get a locksmith (not Timpson, they want to supply a whole new key for you) to cut it for you (about £15), and transfer the electronics into the new case.

Apparently they won't touch Mercedes or Volvo keys. They won't even copy an emergency key if you supply the blank.
This will be about availability of key coding software, or cost. I know that the last time I had a key cut the locksmith was complaining about some car manufacturers who won't allow the software out of the dealer network. This of course makes it a dealer only part, and they can charge what they like.

If it a 'physical/mechanical' issue with one, maybe get an empty one off ebay, and transfer the insides across? Did that with the wife's Qashqai key, as the plastic key 'loop' at the top broke off.

It’s a 2006 (56 plate) Volvo XC70.

The flaky key sometimes won’t remote lock/unlock. Then next time it will.

The other is just a mechanical issue with the flick out mechanical key, which now won’t fold back in. I take you're suggesting this key could be switched over to an “empty” key?

the answers are here - we have driving gods and car gurus a plenty.
I'm neither, but I know I've replaced 3 car keys in the last few years and it's the same story every time. The one that was a PITA was the latest, it's an Audi job with no actual key, you just put the black plastic fob in the slot. There are no generic parts available to get it done cheaper, unlike a conventional car key.

advertisement

Back