advertisement

Replace the 'Briks in an otherwise all Linn setup ?

Three pairs (assuming 8-ohm nominal) wired in parallel will be a tougher load than the 4-ohm 'Brik. Wired in series will yield a much easier load, but not much volume. Yer cannae have cake and eat it too.

BTW, loudspeakers don't get much uglier than the 'Brik.

on the other hand they are holdovers from 1970s speaker design - i defy anyone to compare them to ANY speaker from the 1970s and argue the brik is ugly.. probably one of the prettiest of the lot! compare it to any JBL for example...

I've never considered Briks as fugly; they're speakers, functional, not too large and of a unique design that defies comparison, i.m.o..

As aforesaid, the other designs in the 70s/80s were nothing to shout about aesthetically. The Briks are, surely, impressive; now whether that's fugly or beautiful is neither here nor there. What about the Dalek-looking Leak 2075s? Bloody Hell, you'd have to go some to call those pleasing to the eye !

Keilidhs really need to be active to wake them up properly... Ninkas are way better imho but again they really thrive when active. Shaninans are a good shout since you have room for them to breathe properly. Neat ultimatums are amazing and will satisfy in the bass department but they aren't cheap.

I have owned and run two pairs of isobariks long term...I still hear one pair that my parents now have. I've had several speaker systems since.

My view with the benefit of hindsight are that bariks are, in the overall scheme of things, upper mid fi at best. Now I'll get shot down for saying this...oh, but you should hear them with a six pack...or with the best tweeters...whatever. Hmmm...the original poster asked for recomendations for something better.

12" Tannoy monitor golds, the butyl surround ones, in really rigid decent sized cabs, will better bariks in every area, including bass openness and depth. My parent's upstairs system has a tatty pair of JBL 4410 monitors and it just slaughters the downstairs system with the bariks. When these come up they are still not too expensive...yet!

I

Had a think about this over the New Year, and decided with the restrained budget I have, I'd rather spend a few shillings restoring the Isobariks back to rude health, than hunt for replacements.

A close examination of the topmost tweeters shows that not only are they mismatched to the ceramic type ones on the front, they have also seen (much) better days. The mids set (top and front) don't seem to have any obvious signs of damage - so may or may not be candidates for replacement at this stage.

Falcon acoustics do a full set mid and tweeter kit for c.£450

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/ssl184-crossover-component-set.html

Decent value - or are there other tweeter / mid combinations that provide better value in terms of SQ and cost ?

I really don't want to be rude but they are just not worth it. £450 is not far off what they will be worth after you have replaced the drivers.

I really don't want to be rude but they are just not worth it. £450 is not far off what they will be worth after you have replaced the drivers.

Not rude at all. It's a bit like having a car with a fault in it though is it not ? - it's worth either £x as-is, or £y after you repair the fault, where y = x + the cost of the repair :)

I suppose the question is whether spending £450 - or perhaps £250(ish?) if I were to replace the tweeters alone - leaves me with a decent improvement in sound, or are there similar/better gains to be had elsewhere for that kind of spend.

With the sale of the Briks and your upgrade budget you have about £900 for a pair of secondhand speakers. I suppose you need to decide if you like what Briks do. It took me a long time and a lot of money to accept I didn't. Oddly I rather liked the looks (new original foam and in immaculate condition) and they took up less space than the current ones!

"THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EARLY VERSIONS AND
THESE, AND MANY PEOPLE PUT "SKY HIGH" PRICES ON VERSIONS
WHICH ARE SADLY NOT MUCH BETTER THAN FIREWOOD!!"

Cheek :)

By the time I managed to land those this side of the Irish Sea, I'd probably be looking at c£1400. That, coupled to the introduction of two 'new' large matt-black lumps of speakers wouldn't go down tremendously on the domestic harmony front I very strongly suspect. I'd be paying for it for many years to come..

I had Isobariks and 2 x 135s for a long time, in my experience they sounded better active. Use ATC active now - no contest

advertisement

Back