advertisement

Replace PMC Twenty5 23i with what?

Philip Read

pfm Member
Just something that is rumbling round my head currently. I'm really impressed with these speakers that were a replacement for Acoustic Energy AE309's which I also liked a lot but just wanted something better! I now find myself wanting to play at lower volumes due to mre people being in the house more often and I find the PMC's really don't start working properly until the volume is up the dial. What should I look at as possible replacements that work better at lower volume?

I will have a look and listen if I can but I have to be honest I don't like the look of them at all!
It’s not how they look !! It’s how they sound ! The Lintons are excellent speakers. They were excellent 40-50 years ago and the new versions are a good modern version. Personally, I’d look for a vintage pair, much cheaper and sound even better…IMO…:cool:

Bigger PMCs? My Twenty.26 are quite reasonable at low volumes (with 100 w.p.c. valved mono's), but generally, low volume full-on frequency performance tends to come from efficient (and large) speakers. Transmission and folded horn spkrs aside, The smaller the spkrs, the more welly you need to wake them up.

How many speakers can you bring yourself to hear? How much space is there around the speakers in your home and what sort of budget do you have in mind?

Common suggestions may well include ATC and Neat (I am a big fan of iota Alphas and even more of Xplorers, which might suit you) - 2 excellent but very different choices. You could certainly add Spendor and Fyne, but there are lots of choices, including B&W and Sonus Faber that might make sense.

Having got a few options in mind, you may find it easier to make a short-list by taking your amps to a shop or two to hear multiple speakers in one afternoon. However, sooner or later, you will probably want to hear 2 or 3 choices in your own home.

Good luck!

Bigger PMCs? My Twenty.26 are quite reasonable at low volumes (with 100 w.p.c. valved mono's), but generally, low volume full-on frequency performance tends to come from efficient (and large) speakers. Transmission and folded horn spkrs aside, The smaller the spkrs, the more welly you need to wake them up.
It's odd my 23i's are not great untill it's louder but generally no problem as that's how I listen but sometimes I need to wind them in ;) 🤣

How many speakers can you bring yourself to hear? How much space is there around the speakers in your home and what sort of budget do you have in mind?

Common suggestions may well include ATC and Neat (I am a big fan of iota Alphas and even more of Xplorers, which might suit you) - 2 excellent but very different choices. You could certainly add Spendor and Fyne, but there are lots of choices, including B&W and Sonus Faber that might make sense.

Having got a few options in mind, you may find it easier to make a short-list by taking your amps to a shop or two to hear multiple speakers in one afternoon. However, sooner or later, you will probably want to hear 2 or 3 choices in your own home.

Good luck!
I will listen to what I need to time and availability taken into account and to be fair I was tempted to try/buy Neat Ekstra's when I tried the PMC's but the local dealer was struggling(still is) at the time and it became a non option. ATC's are same as my PMC's I am led to believe and not great at lower volume?

Taking my amp to a dealer is unlikely as it's far too heavy so home demo is the only sensible option I guess!!

It's odd my 23i's are not great untill it's louder but generally no problem as that's how I listen but sometimes I need to wind them in ;) 🤣
I could stand corrected ere but the less efficient (say 83 to 87 dB) the spkr is, the worse it'll sound at lower vol's. I know this is a generalisation but it's also logical. Not sure of the eff. of your 23s are the same as my .26s, but my money is on a slight improvement in the bigger spkr.

I could stand corrected ere but the less efficient (say 83 to 87 dB) the spkr is, the worse it'll sound at lower vol's. I know this is a generalisation but it's also logical. Not sure of the eff. of your 23s are the same as my .26s, but my money is on a slight improvement in the bigger spkr.
Mine are actually more efficient by 0.5dB I think which is odd but then yours have larger drivers...

advertisement

Back